Old May 2nd 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Sweden (Madagascar)

Radio Sweden - Madagascar relay heard s/on 2130UTC / 7460kHz
Music was clear but voice audio modulation was poor.

Jim
Old May 2nd 10, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 2, 2:40*pm, wrote:
Radio Sweden - Madagascar relay heard s/on 2130UTC / 7460kHz
Music was clear but voice audio modulation was poor.

Jim

Hi, Jim - is 40 meters generally open right now?
Old May 3rd 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 2 May 2010 15:21:56 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

On May 2, 2:40*pm, wrote:
Radio Sweden - Madagascar relay heard s/on 2130UTC / 7460kHz
Music was clear but voice audio modulation was poor.

Jim

Hi, Jim - is 40 meters generally open right now?

Depends.

Midwest propagation is good both short and long path from about
1900UTC on becoming longer until just before sunset when there is a
peak in propagation to Europe and then the middle east. In the early
morning local time many Australian hams join in the local nets just
before sunrise. The band goes more local again a few hours after
sunrise.

In think peak propagation on 40m to Europe is 0000UT around here
because I talked to G4ATA in England like he was local last week at
that time.

Jim
Old May 3rd 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On May 2, 2:40*pm, wrote:
Radio Sweden - Madagascar relay heard s/on 2130UTC / 7460kHz
Music was clear but voice audio modulation was poor.

Jim

Hi, Jim - is 40 meters generally open right now?

Depends.

Midwest propagation is good both short and long path from about
1900UTC on becoming longer until just before sunset when there is a
peak in propagation to Europe and then the middle east. In the early
morning local time many Australian hams join in the local nets just
before sunrise. The band goes more local again a few hours after
sunrise.

In think peak propagation on 40m to Europe is 0000UT around here
because I talked to G4ATA in England like he was local last week at
that time.

Jim

Propagation generally can be figured out from the gray line map:http://dx..qsl.net/propagation/greyline.html

However, 40 meters can be kind of an outlier. When conditions are good
it can propagate signals worldwide (like 31m and 25m) for a good
portion of day. This is why broadcasters don't want to give it up.

Jim

Indeed. Regarding the grayline, what I have found is that, not only
is propagation right along the terminator good, but - even after
darkness been over us for awhile, even into the wee hours, stations
along the sunrise terminator continue to be enhanced until an hour or
so after their sunrise. A wonderful thing!

I rarely get good international BC reception on 40/41 meters during
the day; very spotty.

Bruce

Old May 3rd 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On May 2, 2:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

When conditions are good,40 meter band is excellent in late afternoon/
nighttime, in general. Lately,it is actually much worse than 49 meter
at night. We definetely need more sunspots. When is the new solar
cycle going to take off?
Old May 3rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On May 2, 2:40*pm, wrote:
[...]

cycle going to take off?- Hide quoted text -

40/41 is also really good in the morning too, a fine source for Asian
outlets.

Radio Sweden Paul Dwerryhouse Shortwave 1 April 7th 07 11:00 PM
Radio Sweden - "We're back (I hope)..." Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 January 28th 05 07:42 AM
Radio Sweden - "We're back (I hope)..." Mike Terry Shortwave 0 January 28th 05 07:42 AM
Radio Sweden B-04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 17th 04 04:43 PM
Radio Sweden B04 Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 13th 04 10:03 PM