Old May 16th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Tecsun PL-310 Signal Strength Metering

Below is a link leading to the signal meter readings shown on my new
Tecsun PL-310 when receiving the AM broadcast signals of three
different stations with known values of field intensity at the point
of measurement.

For a check on FM broadcast field measurement I took the radio out in
the middle of the street in front of my house, and with its whip
antenna fully extended and in the vertical plane it read about 60 dBu
(1 mV/m, if a field intensity) on a local station that uses a c-pol
transmit antenna. It read about the same with the whip horizontal.
The whip antenna was about 5 feet above the ground.

The expected field intensity from that station for the radiated power,
transmit antenna height, path length and receive antenna height is
about 12 mV/m, or 81.6 dBµV/m.

So based on the results above, my PL-310 does not provide even a
roughly accurate measure of the MW/VHF field intensity that the radio
is receiving (unfortunately).

I could not check the accuracy of the PL-310 metering on SW, because
there is no way of accurately knowing the incident field from remote
SW/HF transmit stations arriving at my receiving location.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...l_Readings.gif

RF ( http://rfry.org )

//
Old May 17th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Richard Fry wrote:

So based on the results above, my PL-310 does not provide even a
roughly accurate measure of the MW/VHF field intensity that the radio
is receiving (unfortunately).

You could apply a dipole, and get more dbµ??

I know the song "Chinese toys are full of heavy metals"

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

Old May 17th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 16, 6:30*pm, Richard Fry wrote:
[...]

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...L-310_Signal_R...

RF (http://rfry.org)

//

Most portables, and even some desktop communication receivers, have
inaccurate S meters.
Old May 17th 10, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 17, 1:02*pm, DEFCON 88 wrote:
Most portables, and even some desktop communication receivers,
have inaccurate S meters.

However S meters don't really measure the actual field intensity that
the receiving antenna is "immersed" in.

They just provide a relative indication of the voltage present at the
antenna input terminals of the receiver -- which is not a field, but a
conducted r-f voltage that depends on the real gain and physical
orientation of the receive antenna, frequency, impedance matching,
cable losses and other factors.