Old May 22nd 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Backyard antenna considered...

I have a wood fence around my back yard. Across the back stretch is 79 feet.
The fence extends 76 feet from there along each side of my house which is 50
feet wide, leaving around 14 feet on each side of the house. The back of the
house to the fence is 37 feet . The eve of my two story house is, if I
remember right, about 23 feet above the ground. I want to erect a random
wire antenna of insulated 12 gauge wire from one corner of the fence in the
back, lead it up to the middle of the house to an insulator, then back down
to the other corner of the fence, where the feedpoint will connect at the
end. The back of my house faces due North. The antenna will be held about 8'
feet off the ground at the fence corners by schedule 40 PVC pipe. I want to
juse the feeline system as described by John Doty in this article:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...eed/feed1.html
I have a Radio Shack DX-398 equivalent of the Sangean ATS-909. I was
thinking the two ground rods will be set in a hole 1 foot in diameter
filled with a Bentonite slurry. I was wondering if the random wire folded
into such an inverted V facing due North will have good reception qualities.
The previous residence I erected an inverted L random wire antenna and
received excellent results, but seemed very directional. I am hoping the
inverted V shape will help diversify the direction of reception somewhat at
this house. What do you all think?

Old May 22nd 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

This might be fun for you.
http://www.k7mem.150m.com/Electronic...erted_vee.html
or
http://www.smeter.net/antennas/inverted-v.php

If you want to think more and work harder look at a multiband antenna.
http://www.qsl.net/ta1dx/amator/prac...le_antenna.htm
about 3/4 down the page.
Mike

Old May 23rd 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thank you for the links Mike. I won't be transmitting from the antenna,
just receiving for SWL. I am trying to get something that works wideband and
maybe the multiband dipole is the way to go. I will have to look at the
spreadsheet I have for the bands the DX-398 recieves on and see if I can
design one of those. I don't think the wife will say anything beyond an
intial question of "What the heck is that?" I do not have an HOA (Home
Owners Association) with the associated CCR's (Codes, Covenants &
Regulations). If I make it unobtrusive I don't think the neighbors will give
a hoot, either.

I have kept an annonymous email address due to SPAM scans of Newsgroups. I
can be reached at dwmitchell61ATcharterDOTnet

Dave Mitchell

Old May 23rd 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 5/22/10 12:03 , John Smith wrote:
[...]

And interesting experiment, to be sure. But WAAAAAAYYYYY too much
antenna for your receivers. You may have to pad it considerably to
prevent overload on these radios.

That said, it wouldn't be the first time a hobbyist built an antenna
and had to find a receiver to fit it.

By all means, give it a shot. And if you're overloading, which is
likely, either pad, reduce coupling, or start looking for a receiver
that can handle such an antenna.

It will be like stepping out of a modified 57 BelAir with a Corvette
drive train into a Vector W8.

Old May 23rd 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 22, 10:03*am, "John Smith" wrote:
[...]

Consider using the Par Electronics End-Fed
Shortwave Listener's (EF-SWL) Antenna
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...68cb105b4a370b
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...11c0ac4f084b87

Old May 23rd 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

"amdx" wrote in message

"John Smith" wrote in message
[...]

One more time for John Smith,

So your 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio Needs
an External Antenna for Better Reception . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a610e444b71ebd

-then- Consider the Portable Wire Antenna (PWA)
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...4fd1bafbc1ccf5

"Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA) that was created
and written about by Tom Sevart [N2UHC]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...c232b1c5d205ea

Plug for a Portable SW Radio Antenna Jack
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...002d640926365a

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
Old May 24th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:
On May 22, 10:03 am, "John wrote:
[...]

.
Rig EF-SWL as an Inverted "L" Antenna starting
with a 15 Foot Vertical Up-Leg with a 30 Foot
Horizontal Out-Arm
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f41e85486b0ed9
.
SWL -Newbies- Installing an Inverted "L" Antenna : The Right-Way !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ca62e0c0e838ea
.
All-Band Sloping Inverted "L" Antenna -by- Rolf Brevig [LA1IC]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...0de363c21d19ba
.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.

Center feed it at the apex with RG6. Good to go. Great antenna.
Old May 24th 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 23, 4:33*pm, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On May 22, 10:03 am, "John *wrote:
[...]

* .
Rig EF-SWL as an Inverted "L" Antenna starting
with a 15 Foot Vertical Up-Leg with a 30 Foot
Horizontal Out-Arm
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...f41e85486b0ed9
* .
SWL -Newbies- Installing an Inverted "L" Antenna : The Right-Way !
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ca62e0c0e838ea
* .
All-Band Sloping Inverted "L" Antenna -by- Rolf Brevig [LA1IC]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...0de363c21d19ba
* .
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
* .

Center feed it at the apex with RG6. *Good to go. *Great antenna.

How do you center feed an inverted L or a PAR SWL? This I gotta see!
Old May 24th 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 23 May 2010 16:58:44 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

On May 23, 4:33*pm, dave wrote:
RHF wrote:
On May 22, 10:03 am, "John *wrote:
[...]

He is talking about the original V shaped antenna that John described.
He is saying - split it in half and feed it at the top insulator with
coax instead of feeding it at the end with a balun.

Jim
Old May 24th 10, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 23, 4:33 pm, wrote:
RHF wrote:
On May 22, 10:03 am, "John wrote:
[...]

Ignore the Roy Fisk noise. The original poster says he has a V shaped
antenna that he was thinking about end feeding, thus making it more of
an L. I suggest breaking it in the middle.