Old May 27th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grove announces price for WR-G31DDC software defined receiver

Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:
http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html
Old May 27th 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 05/27/2010 11:30 AM, wrote:

Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:
http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

This site I can get sucked into since they have prices and pictures of
the radios.
Old May 27th 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 27, 11:30*am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?
Old May 27th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 27 May 2010 12:31:22 -0700 (PDT), bpnjensen
wrote:

On May 27, 11:30*am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?

I think it is trying to compete with the Perseus. Don't appear to be
any prototypes floating around. The earlier WR-G313e has lower dynamic
range but the numbers on this model look promising. Hopefully QST or
Sherwood Engineering will test one when they are in production and
verify the numbers.

I volunteer to test one!

Jim
Old May 27th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On May 27, 11:30*am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. *Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?

I think it is trying to compete with the Perseus. Don't appear to be
any prototypes floating around. The earlier WR-G313e has lower dynamic
range but the numbers on this model look promising. Hopefully QST or
Sherwood Engineering will test one when they are in production and
verify the numbers.

I volunteer to test one!

Jim

As far as numbers go (at the Sherwood site), the Elecraft looks plenty
hard to beat. I wish they just made a stand-alone RX. I'd even buy
the kit, and hopefully not screw it up!

Old May 28th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On May 27, 11:30*am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. *Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?

I think it is trying to compete with the Perseus. Don't appear to be
any prototypes floating around. The earlier WR-G313e has lower dynamic
range but the numbers on this model look promising. Hopefully QST or
Sherwood Engineering will test one when they are in production and
verify the numbers.

I volunteer to test one!

Jim

As far as numbers go (at the Sherwood site), the Elecraft looks plenty
hard to beat. I wish they just made a stand-alone RX. I'd even buy
the kit, and hopefully not screw it up!

I think that the coming AOR AR-7070 will be a good receiver IF they
build it with quality parts. The 7030 was an excellent receiver, but
it only worked IF you got a good encoder and IF the buttons made
contact.

That is where SDR's have the advantage. A lot of the cost is saved in
a mass produced computer that is supplied by the customer. Fewer
hardware filters and mechanical controls. Most of the expensive stuff
is dealt with in the software.

Maybe you have seen this link. It has a picture of the inside of the
7070 receiver:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake...sbi_intro.html

Jim
Old May 28th 10, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 27, 3:00*pm, Bill Baka wrote:
On 05/27/2010 11:30 AM, wrote:

Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:
http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

This site I can get sucked into since they have prices and pictures of
the radios.

Just imagine getting their new catalog like I did last week. Everytime
I get a radio catalogue I almost want to go grab the family size jar
of vaseline.
Old May 28th 10, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:
http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

Nice case. All the brains are in the user provided PC. The display and
control software is free.
Old May 28th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 11:30 am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?

There's a $500 SDR that does the same thing.
Old May 28th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
On May 27, 11:30 am, wrote:
Grove announces price and availability for WR-G31DDC "Excalibur"
software defined receiver:http://www.grove-ent.com/shortwavereceivers.html

The screengrab pictures are sure pretty. Any idea how they satck up
against the comp?

I think it is trying to compete with the Perseus. Don't appear to be
any prototypes floating around. The earlier WR-G313e has lower dynamic
range but the numbers on this model look promising. Hopefully QST or
Sherwood Engineering will test one when they are in production and
verify the numbers.

I volunteer to test one!

Jim

As far as numbers go (at the Sherwood site), the Elecraft looks plenty
hard to beat. I wish they just made a stand-alone RX. I'd even buy
the kit, and hopefully not screw it up!

I inquired. A lot of the receive path goes backwards through the 10
Watt exciter board (filters, relays) and it is not feasible to offer the
radio without it. For General Coverage you must add a wide IF filter
and a second set of input bandpass filters. A little under $2K for a
radio that runs circles around many costing 2 or 3 (or more) times that
much money. I suggest getting a General Class ham license (no code
required since 2007) and adopting a K3, if you have a true passion for
pure radio.