Old May 27th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 7160 last night - Central African Republic???

Hi - last night about 0700-ish, I heard a very low carrier on 7160,
and some very faint but obviously high-level modulation of a male
voice speaking. Eibi says, and this is the only thing it shows for
7160 except for the same station, another time slot:

7160 0500-0800 Mo-Fr CAF Radio ICDI, Baoli Vn CAF

Could this have been Central African Republic? Anybody on the East
Coast of NAm get a better fix on this station?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old May 27th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

Hi - last night about 0700-ish, I heard a very low carrier on 7160,
and some very faint but obviously high-level modulation of a male
voice speaking. Eibi says, and this is the only thing it shows for
7160 except for the same station, another time slot:

7160 0500-0800 Mo-Fr CAF Radio ICDI, Baoli Vn CAF

Could this have been Central African Republic? Anybody on the East
Coast of NAm get a better fix on this station?

Though I see nothing else currently listed for the freq., I somehow doubt it
would be ICDI at that time at your location. Consider that they are reportedly
running low power, I'd guess a kilowatt, and that sunrise in CAR is currently
at 0425. But, who knows.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 27th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 27, 2:12*pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
Hi - last night about 0700-ish, I heard a very low carrier on 7160,
and some very faint but obviously high-level modulation of a male
voice speaking. *Eibi says, and this is the only thing it shows for
7160 except for the same station, another time slot:

7160 * * * * *0500-0800 Mo-Fr CAF Radio ICDI, Baoli * * * *Vn *CAF

Could this have been Central African Republic? *Anybody on the East
Coast of NAm get a better fix on this station?

Though I see nothing else currently listed for the freq., I somehow doubt it
would be ICDI at that time at your location. Consider that they are reportedly
running low power, I'd guess a kilowatt, and that sunrise in CAR is currently
at 0425. But, who knows.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Thanks for this - I was surprised myself!

If I can stay up that late, I'll check again tonight - and then maybe
tomorrow night, since their sked suggests no TX on Sat/Sun...
Old May 27th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 2:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

7160 kHz is also a frequency often used by AM-mode amateurs.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old May 28th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 27, 3:51*pm, Kevin Alfred Strom
wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 2:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

Ah, that could be it. It was only signal for miles around last night,
40/41m was otherwise dried up.

Old May 28th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 2:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

41 Meter HFBC is being moved out of this band.
Old May 28th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 2:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

40/41m was otherwise dried up.- Hide quoted text -

Follow up - I sent an email to icdi internationla, and they wrote me
back. This freq is not in use:

Bruce,

Thanks for your email. We have not used the frequency 7160 because of
issues here with propagation. The other frequencies I gave you are
the ones we are using. I am not sure who you heard but it was not us.

I hope this is helpful. I have copied Josue Mbami who understands a
bit of English and much better French and Sango. If you have
questions write to him and if he does not understand your english he
will write to me with questions.

Jim

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Dawn Rondeau

From: Bruce Jensen
Date: Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:44 PM
Subject: Your radio station in Baoli, Central African Republic

Good day to you - last night, I was listening to my shortwave radio on
7.160 MHz at about 07:00 UTC / GMT (midnight my time, morning Central
African time), and I heard a faint radio signal with male voice
speaking. The language was unintelligible to me.

Could this have been Radio ICDI in the Central African Republic? All
of the information I have shows no other broadcaster on this channel
at this time. I did not know you had this frequency in use - am I
perhaps correct?

From Eibi and HFCC:

7160 kHz 0500-0800 (UTC) Mo-Fr CAF Radio ICDI, Baoli

I wish I could provide more program detail, but the signal was
exceedingly weak and the band was noisy (although there was no
interference from other stations).

Thank you,
Bruce Jensen
California, USA

Old May 28th 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 28, 7:13*am, dave wrote:
Kevin Alfred Strom wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 27, 2:12 pm, dxAce wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
[...]

41 Meter HFBC is being moved out of this band.- Hide quoted text -

OK - Actually, I thought it has already been *officially* moved - but
my guess is that there will be stations in places like Africa where
this regulation is loosely followed at best.

Bruce Jensen
Old May 28th 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
On May 28, 7:13 am, dave wrote:

41 Meter HFBC is being moved out of this band.- Hide quoted text -

OK - Actually, I thought it has already been *officially* moved - but
my guess is that there will be stations in places like Africa where
this regulation is loosely followed at best.

Bruce Jensen

Do you know how much a new quartz crystal, custom grown, for a decades
old transmitter, costs?
Old May 29th 10, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 28, 3:41*pm, dave wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
On May 28, 7:13 am, dave wrote:
41 Meter HFBC is being moved out of this band.- Hide quoted text -

OK - Actually, I thought it has already been *officially* moved - but
my guess is that there will be stations in places like Africa where
this regulation is loosely followed at best.

Bruce Jensen

Do you know how much a new quartz crystal, custom grown, for a decades
old transmitter, costs?

Uhhh - no, not exactly...why do you ask, pray tell?