Old July 26th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Gentification Squared on Acid

What is ''the Eye and where is it''?

There is a big building in Minneapolis which has a hole near the top
center of the building.Is that ''the Eye''?
cuhulin

Old July 26th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default William "Bill" Cooper & The Hour of the {Our} Time

On Jul 26, 12:43*pm, Mike wrote:
On Jul 26, 3:32*pm, Drifter wrote:

On 7/26/2010 12:31 PM, D. Peter Maus wrote:

On 7/25/10 22:57 , Gregg wrote:

What you describe is something that happens and has happened in
subdivisions/developments/communities across the culture.

"White Flight" is nothing new. In fact, it was actively cultivated by
real estate brokers in communities throughout the 50's and 60's. The
reason had less to do with race, and more to do with profit. Sell whites
on the fear, offer them fresh properties in the suburbs, handle the
sales and purchases on each end, turn around and handle the purchase of
the city properties by the new class moving in. Fortunes were made.

That said, the new class need not be black to lower the standard of
living in a community. Two of the communities I grew up in are now run
down, lower end communities. And race is not involved. Both were new
construction, higher end, communities when we moved in. Today, in the
later one (where we moved in in the late 60's,) home prices have fallen,
the state of repair is poor, and 30% of homes have been declared unfit
for habitation.

Time is a bitch. And it levels all playing fields.

The previous community, into which we moved in '55, are now lower end,
now starter homes, though still nice homes as a whole, and, again,
racial components are not involved.

The phenomenon is driven by a lot of things. One is, that the monied are
often driven by new construction, fresher locales, and distance from the
madding crowd. While lower end buyers must buy within their budget, or
rent. That means existing, older homes, from which the monied have moved
for newer environs.

Race need not apply.

Now, there were blacks moving into the second community where I grew up.
And there was considerable noise about them. But the unrecognized
reality was that their homes were better maintained and landscaped, and
they often had nicer, if not more interesting, cars in the garage. All
of which may have been motivated by an intent to avoid falling into
stereotype. Without the over-and-above, they would have fit right in to
the existing environment without a hitch.

But these were not people who were put into these homes by 'block
busting commitees.' They bought, and mortgaged, their homes themselves,
based on their own qualifications. Blockbuster homes were often bought
by the committee, and then spun to the occupants with assistance to
those who could not otherwise afford to live in the neighborhood. That's
what led to the stereotype.

Even in those cases, the problems were not with blacks moving into the
homes, but with the committees putting them into homes that they could
not rightly afford, and couldn't maintain.

Now, your communty's situation may be different than mine. Likely it is.
But it's hardly a hard case of racially caused decay. Community decay
dates to the Greeks and Romans. It's part of the process of evolution of
a community. The case is more likely the politically motivated ignorance
of realties that put people into homes the couldn't afford to maintain
than it is the race of the people themselves.

Nicely put Peter. In my neck of the world, the Hill District, is the so
called local getto. too many years ago, it was home to the captains of
industry. coal barons, steel magnets, etc. big beautiful homes, churches
looking like they belonged in old europe. and, as always does, the money
was lured out of the city, you can check/ read the history of the
first Johnstown flood. and other places in our mountains of western PA.
the homes left behind were mostly made into many apartment set-ups.
most people living in the city, blue collar, needed to be near their
work. and so it goes. max profit, little over all up keep. in a matter
of a generation, the large beautiful homes and the nice locals were a
slum. and so it now goes in the so called rust belt. BTW, the Hill
is the Hill Street station from the old cop series. "Hill Street Blues"
the main writer was an x cop from the burg.

BTW, on the way home from Indy, a bunch of us stopped to see "The Eye".
Peter, I love it! took a bunch of pix. always enjoy Chicago food too.

t .- Hide quoted text -

I can agree totally with what Peter and Drifter have written.
Communities do
devolve to a point where only folks at the bottom of the economic
ladder are left.
The fact that these are often African-Americans is not so much a
testament
to the cultural inferiority of blacks as it is a statement about how
our basic
economic structure is racist. Along with Gregg, of course....

MWB,

Since I was born and grew-up in Oakland, CA
"The City" has evolved from a segregated West
Oakland {Black} with a Downtown China Town
and the rest a mixed variety of predominately
Whites to a generally dispersed community of
Whites and Blacks up until I was going through
High School. Then there was an Influx of South
East Asians and into some neighborhoods that
gradually dispersed all the Asian through-out most
of the City. That was followed by Hispanics moving
in, in greater numbers, and displacing the Whites
and Blacks. {OMG - Black and White Flight}
The White population of Oakland has gone down;
but the Black population has gone down even
more; while the populations of both Hispanics
and Asians are ever increasing thus displacing
more and more Blacks and Whites from the City.

International Blvd running through most of East
Oakland is just that; where English is a second
language; and where fewer and fewer Blacks
and Whites go...

the evolution of a city {society} is not required to be
just or fair or equal - it just happens ~ RHF
Old July 26th 10, 10:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:

I can agree totally with what Peter and Drifter have written.
Communities do
devolve to a point where only folks at the bottom of the economic
ladder are left.
The fact that these are often African-Americans is not so much a
testament
to the cultural inferiority of blacks as it is a statement about how
our basic
economic structure is racist. Along with Gregg, of course....

In Houston and Dallas, they chased all the poor people out, leveled the
ghettos, and installed yuppie housing for the unwashed masses who toil
downtown. The suburbs then become the new "inner city".
Old July 26th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7/25/10 22:57 , Gregg wrote:

[...]

Drifter...

The inner city in St Louis was likewise a home for the monied,
powerful and connected. Lafayette Square was a Victorian haven for
the wealthy forces that drove the development and industrialization
of St Louis. Before I left, you could buy a 4 story 8 bedroom
Victoran home in Lafayette Square for $8000. Sometimes less.

Well, the old homes got so much attention by the fans of period
architecture, that some were buying them up at market prices, and
spending $500,000 and more to return them to their native splendor.

By the time I left St Louis, Lafayette Square was a vital, very
upscale community with a vibrant life, and tremendous economic and
cultural holdings. Now on the National Historic Register.

http://www.lafayettesquare.org

When the area fell into disrepair, it fell into the hands of
slumlords, who converted the homes into low rent flats of minimal
standards of maintenance, and exploited those of limited means.
Mostly a black community. Until its rennaisance. Now, it's an
integrated community of significant wealth.

It wasn't as popular, then, as it is today to throw the word
'racist' around at every opportunity and for every purpose, so
though there was a lot of focus on the racial component, racism
itself wasn't a part of the underpinnings of the area's history or
culture.

And that's the point that gets lost by those who can only call
names and throw epithets....it's not a matter so much of race that
brings communities to rust, as it is economics. There will always be
those who have, and always be those who have not. Just as there will
always be someone in every group who will aspire to power and
influence...someone will always hunger to be king.

That's not racial. That's the ambition of the human species.

Glad you enjoyed the Chicago cuisine. But there's so much of it,
how the hell do you walk?

Old July 26th 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Gentrification Squared on Acid

On Jul 26, 2:00*pm, dave wrote:
Mike wrote:

I can agree totally with what Peter and Drifter have written.
Communities do
devolve to a point where only folks at the bottom of the economic
ladder are left.
The fact that these are often African-Americans is not so much a
testament
to the cultural inferiority of blacks as it is a statement about how
our basic
economic structure is racist. Along with Gregg, of course....

- In Houston and Dallas, they chased all
- the poor people out, leveled the ghettos,
- and installed yuppie housing for the
- unwashed masses who toil downtown.
-*The suburbs then become the new "inner city".

-wrt- Gentification Squared on Acid

More like a Gentry-Fried Square on Acid

Dave the suburbs remain the suburbs : They
may become run down and even 'ghettoized'
-but- They will never become the 'inner city' since
they are located outside the City proper.

downtown is downtown and up-town is up-town
and the suburbs ain't in-town at all ~ RHF

Old July 26th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Do you remember Nick's Snow White restaurant that used to be in Oakland?
On my way to Vietnam in January 1964, I spent four days and nights in
Oakland.One time some guys and myself were looking around in Oakland, we
stopped off at Nick's Snow White for dinner.The guy who ran the
restaurant wouldn't let us pay for our meals.

I know Nick's Snow White was torn down to make way for new construction
projects in that area.Not many years ago, I emailed the Oakland main
library about that restaurant.A guy at the library sent me a reply.I
still have his email reply in my email inbox.
cuhulin

Old July 26th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

-wrt- Gentification Squared on Acid

More like a Gentry-Fried Square on Acid

Dave the suburbs remain the suburbs : They
may become run down and even 'ghettoized'
-but- They will never become the 'inner city' since
they are located outside the City proper.

downtown is downtown and up-town is up-town
and the suburbs ain't in-town at all ~ RHF
.

Walkin' down the street, smoggy-eyed
Looking at the sky, starry-eyed
Searchin' for the place, weary-eyed
Crying in the night, teary-eyed

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Wonder when I'll find paradise
Somewhere there's a home sweet and nice
Song text taken from stlyrics.com
Wonder if I'll find happiness
Never give it up now I guess

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

There's no need to search anywhere
Happiness is here, have your share
If you know you're loved, be secure
Paradise is love to be sure

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

Don't you know that it's true
That for me and for you
The world is a ghetto

-War

Old July 26th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike "I'm a college professor with a PhD" Bryant wrote:

On Jul 25, 11:57 pm, Gregg wrote:
On Jul 25, 3:24 pm, DEFCON 88 wrote:

On Jul 25, 1:47 pm, wrote:

Watchin ah leetl bit uv CNN tee vee noos.The guy on CNN said Nigeria is
kidnapping oil company executives and killing them, and also blowing up
some oil lines.Video clip showed some people by a ditch and being shot
and killed.

cuhulin

Typical. Blacks are always chimping out. As in Haiti, Zimbabwe, South
Africa, Detroit and elsewhere, they kill and/or drive out the people
who make things work and then sit around and blame Whitey when their
country/city turns to $hit.

I can say from experience (at least for me) that is true. The
subdivsion I was raised in was beautiful / immaculate back in the mid
60's too mid 70's. Great K through sixth grade schools within a ten
minute walk from our front door. There were no black families in our
subdivision - zero- nada.

One black family moved in on one side of the subdivision and then two
on the other side within a years time. I guess more had moved in I
didn't know of because we had one black boy in my grade, then the next
year we had four in our fifth grade.

Long story short, that subdivsion in now crack alley and drug infested
and the once great school I attended is covered with graffiti
everywhere and wood boards where I suppose windows have been broken. I
went to visit my former school not even two years ago to take some
pics of the gym and hallways etc. and signed in at the desk. I
explained to them the years I went to that school and that I wanted to
look around and they gave me a visitors badge, I had a pretty good
time. But ALL the hallways were covered with Obama drawings, like a
coloring book type of thing where the kids would color inside the
lines, I wondered (but didn't ask) how they got coloring books like
that.

The tables had been flipped so too speak, I saw two white girls and
one white boy in that entire school. They had one white teacher that
spoke to me (though many black teachers saw me walking around) in the
hallway and I told her where we had lived and when I went to school
there and she kind of shook her head and said "I can't even imagine
it." Kind of says it all. Our house was sold to a white family who
lived there for three years and since then no one has actually bought
it and a group owns it and rents it out I guess. I found that out on
the auditors search page. Sad.

Racist....Why am I not surprised?

Lying idiot who once claimed to have a PhD....Why am I not surprised?

Old July 27th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I went to College, on the G. I. Bill in the Winter time of 1972
-1973.Hinds Community College College in Raymond,Mississippi, eight
miles West/Southwest of doggy's couch, night time welding classes.I
don't have a PHD though.My old buddy went there too, night time plumbing
classes, same time I did.It was some extra money for us.

Yeah, in fact of the business, doggy was born in Raymond,Mississippi
seven years ago.I paid Mr.Clay Mason's wife (he is a Ham Radio Operator)
$150.00 for doggy.
http://www.raymondms.com
cuhulin

Old July 27th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 26, 11:13*pm, RHF wrote:
On Jul 26, 3:26*pm, dave wrote:

RHF wrote:
-wrt- Gentification Squared on Acid

More like a Gentry-Fried Square on Acid

Dave the suburbs remain the suburbs : They
may become run down and even 'ghettoized'
-but- They will never become the 'inner city' since
they are located outside the City proper.

downtown is downtown and up-town is up-town
and the suburbs ain't in-town at all ~ RHF
* .

[...]

Dubs {Dave},
The Twomps The Twomps are Calling
and there is no landmark for u . . .

Welcome to the Los Barrio de San Antoniohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio,_Oakland,_California

Bro "D" be Riding in the Back Seat
Holding a Pair-O-9s whit an Eye Out fo U

PoPo be flashing but den he gone
the Dubs is 24&7 while you liv-in

ain't no luv
ain't no haters
jus biz
nuf sad ~ Miss TPA {so she say}
*.

So, you're African-American, after all, RHF? What a surprise!