Old August 6th 10, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default MW DXers. WWVA is down. Pix.

wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:52:39 -0400, Drifter wrote:

On 8/5/2010 1:44 PM, dave wrote:
Drifter wrote:
Just an FYI for all you MW DX people out there.

WWVA, out of Wheeling WV. towers went down in

Wednesdays storm. they are right now on another

freq. so, 1.170 was wide open last night, for anyone

in their area. I caught 4 new-to-me id s last night

on this freq. I'm east of Pittsburgh, and they weren't

that strong here, but, it's wide open right now for

DXERs in their area.

enjoy.
Drifter...

Bummer. You're in the skip zone, they normally have a good signal on the
East Coast.

http://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?...08625&sHours=N

http://www.wwva.com/cc-common/mainhe...rticle=7439986

from their home page. i see they still call themselves "the big one".
wonder what the guys on 700, out of Cinci, think about that?

Drifter...

Monitoring 1170 with the Perseus. Looks like there is an IBOC sideband
from 1165 to 1170. Checked - it is WHAM-HD on 1180 covering 1165-1195
in Rochester, NY. So if you hear digital hash on 1170 thats where its
coming from.

Sure can here the hash here! What I hear in sporadic checks is a station playing oldies. Haven't spent much
time with it.

IBOC sucks.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Jim

Old August 6th 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dave wrote:
dxAce wrote:

IBOC sucks.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Our friends at Citadel (WLS, KGO, KKOB, KABC, KKOH, WABC, etc.) agree.
They don't run it at night (lest they destroy each other).

How different it would have been if digital broadcasting had been
given its own dedicated band: There would be many new channels
opened up for alternative programming, and the AM and FM bands would
have become _less_ congested, not more.

But no, that could never be allowed. The billionaire money-men would
have lost all their expensive signal advantages over the small
broadcaster. That would be intolerable.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--
http://kevinalfredstrom.com/
Old August 6th 10, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D'OH! ... I got sidetracked last night and forgot to listen to 1170.
WWVA's website says they're back on the air with reduced power (I
wonder what the power is?) and no ETA as to when they'll be back on
50kw . I bet they're using a horizontal wire or maybe a hastily
erected vertical.
Old August 6th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 8/5/2010 1:44 PM, dave wrote:
Drifter wrote:
Just an FYI for all you MW DX people out there.

WWVA, out of Wheeling WV. towers went down in

Wednesdays storm. they are right now on another

freq. so, 1.170 was wide open last night, for anyone

in their area. I caught 4 new-to-me id s last night

on this freq. I'm east of Pittsburgh, and they weren't

that strong here, but, it's wide open right now for

DXERs in their area.

enjoy.
Drifter...

Bummer. You're in the skip zone, they normally have a good signal on the
East Coast.

http://fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine.php?...08625&sHours=N

http://www.wwva.com/cc-common/mainhe...rticle=7439986

from their home page. i see they still call themselves "the big one".
wonder what the guys on 700, out of Cinci, think about that?

Drifter...

WWVA is back on the air on 1170 kHz. ID at 2235UTC with S5 signal in
SE Michigan.
Old August 7th 10, 12:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 8/5/2010 1:44 PM, dave wrote:
Drifter wrote:
[...]

The oldies station is WFDL, Waupun, WI. Operating with 1000 watts daytime and a PSRA of 9 watts. I think I may
have heard them with the 9 watts.

Have to do further checking and maybe send 'em a report. Not that terribly far away, but still interesting at
that power.

Old August 8th 10, 08:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

On 8/5/2010 1:44 PM, dave wrote:
Drifter wrote:
[...]

If you copied them at 9 watts it's worth sending a report because with all
of the IBOC hash and interference copying such a station would be a
challange, even if fairly close.

VegasNightOwl