Old September 8th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question.

Anyone have any experience with this model?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...m_term=72-8110
Old September 8th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this model?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...m_term=72-8110

These are competitive, and better made. Plus they are specifically
designed for communications by a radio hobby friendly business. No
financial interest. I do have an SS-12 which never even gets warm.

http://www.astroncorp.com/catalog.asp
Old September 9th 10, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

http://www.astroncorp.com/catalog.asp

My current one is on page #2 [VS-35M] and it does get warmish even with a 5"
muffin fan behind it, but only during an extended QSO with the exciter running
high and an ambient shack temp above eighty or so.
Chances are pretty good of finding an Astron in any amateur repeater vault you
go into because of their reputation of reliability.

I have a switcher (SS-12). I'm a firm believer in digital methods to
improve energy efficiency. 36 cents a KWH will do that to a man.
Old September 10th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:
dave wrote:

http://www.astroncorp.com/catalog.asp

My current one is on page #2 [VS-35M] and it does get warmish even with a 5"
muffin fan behind it, but only during an extended QSO with the exciter running
high and an ambient shack temp above eighty or so.
Chances are pretty good of finding an Astron in any amateur repeater vault you
go into because of their reputation of reliability.

I have a switcher (SS-12). I'm a firm believer in digital methods to
improve energy efficiency. 36 cents a KWH will do that to a man.

If the switching transients can be suppressed enough
to allow a quiet receiver,
otherwise just save even more and go QRT.

That's the point. When propagation's good I can work the East Coast
with 80 milliWatts. If I was using my old linear supply I'd still be
drawing 6 Amps from the mains. With my switch mode supply, low power
means low power. I'm going to put all my EFX pedals on a switcher,too.

I can hear a motor a mile away at the quarry. It is one of those 2 or 3
horsepower industrial monsters and it has brushes that arc. That's a
quiet environment and the SS-12 did not raise the floor one bit. The
antenna's 25 feet away, in all fairness.