Old September 10th 10, 05:04 PM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default Keefe Bartels investigation into HD Radio picking up steam -LMFAO!!!

On 9/10/10 6:34 PM, dave wrote:
AAC+ SBR, the flavor used for digital radio, is even more
annoying due to false triggering of the pink noise pumper and the total
lack of any sense of space.

True. The fake stereo does the latter, the SBR guesses the treble at the
hint of a few bits available to steer it.

gr, hwh
Old September 10th 10, 05:34 PM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc

John Smith wrote:
On 9/9/2010 8:33 PM, dave wrote:

128 sounds very ragged to me. It's fine for the car or background music
but when I put on my Grado headphones the lossy compression is not
really a pleasure to listen to.

This:
"Audio (MP3)
32 kbit/s – MW (AM) quality
96 kbit/s – FM quality - This is questionable since FM broadcast is
transmitted in analog 30hz-15khz. Similarly one cannot compare directly
an LP record to CD using kbit/s.
128–160 kbit/s – Standard Bitrate quality; difference can sometimes be
obvious (e.g. lack of low frequency quality and high frequency "swashy"
effects)[citation needed]
224–320 kbit/s – VBR to highest MP3 quality"

from he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rate

At 225 kbit, it is strange it is so offensive to your ear, it is
approaching concert hall quality ... 96 kbit is ~equal to fm radio ... I
think what your are hearing is more in your mind than anywhere else.

Regards,
JS

I have done blind A/B testing. WAV or FLAC always beats AAC, at any
bitrate. AAC+ SBR, the flavor used for digital radio, is even more
annoying due to false triggering of the pink noise pumper and the total
lack of any sense of space. A typical 78 RPM analog record has more
ambience.

I do all my entertainment radiolistening via web unless I'm somewhere
without wireless broadband or listening to the AM radio. I find the
vast majority of FM radio stations unlistenable due to the extreme
dynamics processing.

Old September 10th 10, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD Radio picking up steam - LMFAO!!!

John Smith wrote:
On 9/9/2010 10:03 PM, RHF wrote:

Yeah Dave is so s p e c i a l . . .
Wez Call Him 'Super Dave'
http://www.stevemandich.com/evelincarnate/superdave.jpg
.

To me, he is special dave, most likely a close relative of special ed.
Cousins marrying and all that, yanno' ...

Regards,
JS

Actually I was in Special Ed. in 8th grade. I went to school before Ritalin.
Old September 10th 10, 10:05 PM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc

"dave" wrote in message
. ..
John Smith wrote:
On 9/9/2010 8:33 PM, dave wrote:

[...]

Have you tried other lossless codecs like Monkey, mp3-HD, Mp4 ALS?

The one that seems most promising is mp3-HD as it's compatible with older
players. I've heard some weird stuff with Money, but it may be me. ALS
sounds solid, but I think you need a player that can handle it.

I think Vorbis has a lossless system as well, but I could be wrong.

Old September 10th 10, 11:18 PM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc

I have done blind A/B testing. WAV or FLAC always beats AAC, at any
bitrate. AAC+ SBR, the flavor used for digital radio, is even more
annoying due to false triggering of the pink noise pumper and the total
lack of any sense of space. A typical 78 RPM analog record has more
ambience.

I do all my entertainment radiolistening via web unless I'm somewhere
without wireless broadband or listening to the AM radio. I find the
vast majority of FM radio stations unlistenable due to the extreme
dynamics processing.

Have a look at some of the comments on the 320K AAC experiment from the
listeners.. Remember them;?....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...xtra_high_qual
ity_audio.html
--
Tony Sayer

Old September 11th 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9/10/2010 9:41 AM, dave wrote:

Actually I was in Special Ed. in 8th grade. I went to school before
Ritalin.

Well, actually, I was just kidding and giving you a bad time ...

Regards,
JS
Old September 11th 10, 08:31 AM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 9/11/10 3:05 AM, SMS wrote:
That may be why everyone says HD Radio sound so good. Maybe it actually
only sounds good because the "analog" broadcast is really no such thing.
I've never listened to HD on a home system with a high end amplifier and
speakers, only in a vehicle where it's so much better than analog FM
that the reaction I get from the spousal unit when we're on an HD
station is "is that a CD you're playing?"

This is actually getting funny. I can't believe anyone falls for this
nonsense.

gr, hwh

Old September 11th 10, 10:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : 'Dave' Henceforth You Shall Be Know As "Special Dave"©

On Sep 9, 10:21*pm, John Smith wrote:
- - On 9/9/2010 10:03 PM, RHF wrote:
- - Yeah Dave is so : s p e c i a l . . .
- - Wez Call Him 'Super Dave'
- - http://www.stevemandich.com/evelincarnate/superdave.jpg
- - .

- To me, he is special dave,
- most likely a close relative of special ed.
- Cousins marrying and all that, yanno' ...
-
- Regards,
- JS

Ah "Special Dave" now that sounds better than
'Super Dave' or even 'DaviD' with Two Capital "D"s
for Dumb and Dumber ;;-}}

"Special Dave"© - I Am Inspired cause it is
Inspirational and . . . you got it ) 'special' ;-}

'Dave' Henceforth You Shall Be Know As "Special Dave"©

recorded on this day of our 'special dave' 11 Sept 2010 ~ RHF
Old September 11th 10, 11:00 AM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 10, 5:33*pm, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
"Drewdove" wrote in message

Have you tried other lossless codecs like Monkey, mp3-HD, Mp4 ALS?

The one that seems most promising is mp3-HD as it's compatible with older
players. I've heard some weird stuff with Money, but it may be me. ALS
sounds solid, but I think you need a player that can handle it.

I think Vorbis has a lossless system as well, but I could be wrong.

You do realize that most radio stations are using compressed digital formats
for their programming, and have for some time. I believe the most prevalent
is OGG/Vorbis, though some do use WAV or high bitrate mp3. "DJ's" anymore
sit in front of a computer monitor and read off a list prepared by the PM or
equivalent. Lucky ones even get to point and click on the tracks they want
to play. *Union shops are insane: all the "DJ" does is talk, the board is
run by an engineer and all music selection is done by the PM. In some
stations, the entire broadcast day is lined out in advance, and the FCC log
is printed out at the beginning of the day.

-*I miss the old days of radio.

BAD at least you have your experiences
and the memories ) eaflap ~ RHF
Old September 11th 10, 11:05 AM posted to ba.broadcast,alt.radio.digital,rec.radio.shortwave,aus.radio.broadcast,rec.radio.amateur.misc
RHF RHF is offline

Default I Miss The Old Days of Radio . . . When Radio Was Radio !

On Sep 10, 5:33*pm, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:
"Drewdove" wrote in message

[...]

memories of when : radio was radio . . . )

as for me . . . i am just listening to
'free' over-the-air the radio ~ RHF