Old September 19th 10, 10:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default welcome change to 7mhz

At least it's welcomed by me :-)

Since I moved here a long time ago, 40m has been a really bad ham band. In the
US/Canada, etc, it goes from 7.000 to 7.250 mHz, with 7.000 to 7.150 resticted
to CW only in the US.

Here it was only 7.000 to 7.100 for everything. 7.100 up was a SWBC band loaded
with s-meter pinning SWBC stations. While it was common for hams to work
split frequency operation, for example listening to US hams on 7.175 mHz and
responding on 7.075, it was almost impossible as the SWBC stations were
every 5kHz apart from 7.100 on up. You would need one heck of a receiver to
hear between them.

If propigation was good, I would hear three or four stations on the same
frequency. If propigation was bad, I'd hear nothing, not SWBC, not hams.

7.100 to 7.200 was approved as a ham band a few years ago, and the SWBC
stations were to vacate it, eventually.

Last night, I was listening around midnight local time (2200Z) and found
7.100 to 7.200 with only one SWBC station (7.105) and loaded with hams.

:-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
Old September 19th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:49:03 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

[...]

There was a ham from Beer Sheva on 7135 yesterday before sunset
(around 2300UT) with a huge signal and a huge pile-up to match.

Only problem here (in US) is there are too many contests and the
contesters talk right over the DX stations.

Jim(MI)
Old September 20th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Jim(MI)- Hide quoted text -

Maybe the solar cycle 24 has quietly started; propagation is
improving ,very gradually.

It started. We bottomed out last winter.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/sunspot.gif

7mhz ARC-5 question Dave Fleming Boatanchors 3 January 29th 08 08:48 PM
144mhz Front-End with output at 10.7MHz Richard Homebrew 0 January 27th 08 07:14 PM
Why does a change in jumper length change amplifer outout? Jim Homebrew 10 July 15th 05 05:57 PM
spurious signal on 3.7mhz General 0 February 16th 05 05:56 PM
UK Amateurs Enjoying Extra Spectrum at 7MHz Mike Terry Shortwave 0 November 5th 04 07:11 PM