Old October 31st 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Web-Based "Internet' TV {Video Content} May Be An 'Option' That WeAll Should Consider...

On Oct 30, 6:53*pm, wrote:
RHF wrote:
- The wife and I have our flatscreens in storage, we have no plans of
- getting them out. If our shows are not available on the net, we
don't
- watch them.

I'm getting to that point as well..

In fact I do not have ANY TV right now and was kind of
shopping for a new flatscreen model

BUT.... I am thinking it might be best to buy a bigger
PC monitor for my desktop instead and watch THAT! That
is.... move desktop and big monitor in the living
room...

What you say?

The Sony "PlayStation 3" has a Web Browser feature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

The Nintendo "Wii" also has some Internet functionality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Web Browser feature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser

So... If you have an existing ISP and an 32" HDTVs...

A Flat Screen PC Monitor around 24" would be
good for Viewing Internet provided Video Content
at a Desk-Top PC. [a 2~3 Foot Viewing Distance]

But most likely a 32" HDTV connected to PC that
is Connected to the Internet would be better for
setting down in a room and viewing from across
the room. [a 7~12 Foot Viewing Distance]

The HP TouchSmart Monitors might be nice...
http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/touchsmart/

The Bigger Samsung 320TSN-2 : 32" LCD TV/Monitor
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/c.../LH32TCUMBC/ZA

We had some in-house Care Providers who were
keen to Watch Video Content on their iPhone size
and type Video Players -that-was-just-not-for-me-
But then I don't like Listening to 'Tunes' on an iPod
with Ear-Buds either : Give me two Loud Speakers
across the Room and an Easy-Chair to set-in and
relax to the Music too...

mostly depends on the-how and the-where of
you wanting to 'view' the "video content" ~ RHF
Old October 31st 10, 11:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Is There Any Future For Shortwave Radio : With or Without DRM . . .

On Oct 31, 2:36*am, Krypsis wrote:
On 31/10/2010 4:54 AM, John Smith wrote:

On 10/25/2010 4:30 AM, RHF wrote:

* ...

The wife and I have our flatscreens in storage, we have no plans of
getting them out. If our shows are not available on the net, we don't
watch them.

And, lately, I have been just listening to AM on the net, and those
stations which provide streams ... NPR is the FM that I grab, on the net
.... point being, it is getting hard to not realize the fact we could do
without standalone radios ... with probably keep my USB software driven
radios, at least for a while longer.

DRM is just too silly to be bothered with. I don't think the wife and I
will ever want to be bothered with it ... if obama shuts down the
internet, I guess we will all have to go back to BBS's.

Regards,
JS

I don't know about you but the idea of carting an internet enabled
device around just to listen to the radio does not thrill me in the
least. Whenever I am working out in the backyard, my Sangean 505 is with
me and tuned in. Whenever I travel, my Sony 7600 is with me and also
tuned in. Right now I am sitting at my computer and my Sangean is beside
me tuned to BC AM, the cricket in fact. The only time I really listen to
internet radio is when I want to listen to something too distant for
broadcast but unavailable on shortwave.
I will continue to use broadcast radios for the foreseeable future!

Krypsis

So far the limit to Internet Radio {web-based-radio}
is just how 'Wide' {Coverage Area} is your WiFi :
at Home; at Work in your Car/Truck; at the Hotel
you are staying at . . . and the location of your next
Hot-Spot !

Cellphone and iPod type G3 down-loads with subsequent
Play-Back would seem to give more 'mobility' like a
Pocket {portable} AM/FM/SW Radio. But mostly that
is not Real-Time and for the most part AM/FM/SW
Radio does offer Real-Time where you are / anywhere.

it's 'free' over-the-air am & fm shortwave radio
and it is as easy as . . . just listening ~ RHF
Old October 31st 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Web-Radio "Internet' Radio May Be An 'Option' That We All ShouldConsider...

On 10/30/2010 4:57 PM, RHF wrote:

"JS" - Don't BBS's rely on Land-Lines and doesn't
Prez Obama also have potential control over them
too . . .

Any fascist/dictator government can become a real pain. Just look at
the old SW jammers you used to find dotting the band spreads. And,
yeah, you have to use phone to run a bbs, either landline, cell or
satellite. Perhaps we will have to go real retro and use the old CB
bands with data encryption schemes; My crystal ball stopped working,
all it shows is gray clouds.

I kinda liked the old BBS's, now-a-days, it would be like waiting for
the pony express though!

Anyway, shutting down all communication would just be suicidal--I am not
saying these fool criminals and treasonous-individuals we have allowed
into public servant offices aren't VERY severe
psycho-death-suicide-freaks--the insanity they have demonstrated is
truly amazing ... but, if no one steps up to remove them and restore
sanity, soon, it might be awhile before enough, get enough nerve to, do
the right thing.

Regards,
JS
Old October 31st 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/31/2010 2:36 AM, Krypsis wrote:

I will continue to use broadcast radios for the foreseeable future!

Krypsis

The types of situations you name, camping in the High Sierra, having to
live in a survival situation eating food off the land, etc. leaves one
little choice but for an old am/fm/sw/??? type radio. Of course one
will remain with ones gold, food, blankets, tents, go-bags, etc.

However, with the coverage of some cell suppliers, I have been in some
pretty remote areas and still have net access ... it has surprised me
and I expect it to get only get better technology and hardware ...
although, by then, we may not have the money, resources, infrastructure,
etc. to implement the upgrades ...

Regards,
JS

Old October 31st 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/30/2010 1:44 PM, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

At this point it would not cost a lot of money to make a dedicated DSP
chip that would decode AM, DSBRC, and SSB at an IF of 445kHz. Possibly
a brodcasters or radio manufacturer's association could get together and
bankroll it.

Geoff.

Might just be better to a "dual system." AM would have to go, but you
could run, say, USB analog and use the LSB for a digital carrier ...
people would yell, scream, pull their hair out, etc. ... but we did go
all digital TV and just ram it down the oppose'rs throats ... just look
at the tons of old analog TV's sitting around that you can't even get a
digital box to slap on now ... never say never, to anything ...

Regards,
JS
Old November 1st 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 31, 5:41*am, John Smith wrote:
On 10/31/2010 2:36 AM, Krypsis wrote:

* ...

I will continue to use broadcast radios for the foreseeable future!

Krypsis

The types of situations you name, camping in the High Sierra, having to
live in a survival situation eating food off the land, etc. leaves one
little choice but for an old am/fm/sw/??? type radio. *Of course one
will remain with ones gold, food, blankets, tents, go-bags, etc.

However, with the coverage of some cell suppliers, I have been in some
pretty remote areas and still have net access ... it has surprised me
and I expect it to get only get better technology and hardware ...
although, by then, we may not have the money, resources, infrastructure,
etc. to implement the upgrades ...

Regards,
JS

Hard to "Track" you with an old AM/FM/SW Radio
but they could easily 'ping' your location when
you use your Cellphone.
Old November 2nd 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 1, 1:42*pm, RHF wrote:

Hard to "Track" you with an old AM/FM/SW Radio
but they could easily 'ping' your location when
you use your Cellphone.

Quite so. It's why spy agencies still use numbers stations to
disseminate messages to their agents. It is also why this scenario:

The Shortwave Radio Broadcasters have to see some
ROI coming out of DRM; or they simply will move on
to the Internet Radio & TV and Satellite Radio & TV
as their main Technical Means to Their End of Reaching
and Communicating with People All Around the World.

.... probably won't come to pass in the immediate future (if at all).
It's too easy to track people using the Internet (or simply cut them
off). Satellites aren't there yet (who wants to pack a 60cm dish in
their luggage). When there is a good choice** of free to air* direct
broadcast satellites that are as easy and simple to receive as Sirius
currently is, then MAYBE shortwave will truly be obsolete. (Maybe. It
is technologically feasible to shoot missiles at satellites, after
all.)

Until then, a message that can be received on shortwave with poor
audio quality beats a message that cannot be received at all via
Internet or a satellite. Anyone who has bought into the DRM hype and
is ready to leave shortwave in a huff will eventually and to their
regret end up realizing this.

* Pay to view won't work; the same governments that don't want "their"
citizens listening to certain messages will threaten to cut off
payments from within their borders to foreign pay DBS satellite
services that fail to muzzle the messages they (such governments) find
offensive. The only way you can broadcast messages to areas where
governments don't want them heard is to give them away.

** Several dozen providers, both publicly and privately owned, with
ownership based in a wide range of nations, not all of who
ideologically see eye to eye. If the USA wants to cut off a certain
message, that message has to be able to go to a Venezuelan (or
Russian, or Chinese, or wherever) DBS satellite serving the same
target area. (Swap nation names as you see fit here; all examples are
equally valid.) Anything less than that standard means shortwave still
has a role to play.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR