Old October 31st 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Interesting article on SW ...

http://www.rwonline.com/article/95976

I think it is pretty close to right ... like it, or not ...

Regards,
JS
Old October 31st 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Smith wrote:
I think it is pretty close to right ... like it, or not ...

It all can be summed up, which the article did pretty well is that people
in affluent countries don't listen to shortwave radio. They prefer to get
their news from more reliable (and probably more slanted in their direction
sources).

The other day I was listening to CRI (China Radio International's)
southwest Asia broadcast in English. They referred often to their
website. If you have internet access, you can hear their archive of
programs, send them emails with reception reports or questions, and so
on.

If you don't you can send them mail (postal address given).

IMHO it's a decent mixture of reality and desire. SW broadcasts for those
that want to listen to them, or don't have internet access, and internet
availability for those that do.

At least here, CRI has replaced the BBC or Radio Moscow with being the
all bands all the time radio station. If you had a shortwave radio in
the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's you know exactly what I mean.

The reality of it all is that there are far more people out there with
shortwave radios with AM reception and nothing else, who are lucky if they
have some way of powering them. Computers and internet access are a dream,
not anything they have ever seen.

The just don't happen to be in the US, Canada or the EU.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
Old October 31st 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 31, 6:54*am, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
John Smith wrote:
I think it is pretty close to right ... like it, or not ...

- It all can be summed up, which the article did pretty well is that
people
- in affluent countries don't listen to shortwave radio. They prefer
to get
- their news from more reliable (and probably more slanted in their
direction
- sources).

Shortwave Radio Listening can be "IF'fy" and the
Sound Quality can be very poor -so- Why Listen to
Shortwave Radio : When you have other 'options' ?

Hear the BBC News on many NPR Radio Stations.
Watch the BBC News on many PBS TV Stations.
Watch the BBC Channel on the Cable/Satellte Network.

-but- Many/Most of the major {former} International
{Government Run/Controlled} Shortwave Radio
Broadcasters do have the same News 'Content'
available via their Websites for People to Listen to.

=WRT= Domestic Audio Content for Consumers :
Got To Tell 'The People' What They Want To Hear !

- The other day I was listening to CRI (China Radio International's)
- southwest Asia broadcast in English. They referred often to their
- website. If you have internet access, you can hear their archive of
- programs, send them emails with reception reports or questions,
- and so on.

Yes CRI is everywhere on the Shortwave Radio Bands
and now on a few FM Radio Stations in the USA.

Somewhere I read that the CRI English website is
Blocked to Internal Chinese Internet Addresses.
http://english.cri.cn/
? now-is-that-true ?

If you don't you can send them mail (postal address given).

IMHO it's a decent mixture of reality and desire. SW broadcasts for those
that want to listen to them, or don't have internet access, and internet
availability for those that do.

At least here, CRI has replaced the BBC or Radio Moscow with being the
all bands all the time radio station. If you had a shortwave radio in
the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's you know exactly what I mean.

- The reality of it all is that there are far more people
- out there with shortwave radios with AM reception
- and nothing else, who are lucky if they have some
- way of powering them.

Hence the original 'FreePlay' AM/FM/SW Radios with
the Hand Crank "Clockwork" (Wind-Up) for Self-Powered
Radio Listening
http://www.ssplprints.com/image.php?imgref=10308235

-about- Trevor G. Baylis
http://windupradio.com/trevor.htm

- Computers and internet access are a dream,
- not anything they have ever seen.

Even in China where Internet Access is only ~5%
in Rural Areas where Half the Population still lives.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia/cn.htm
The Chinese Internet : Haves and Have Nots in China :
Those Living in Urban Areas with Internet Access ~50%
Those Living in Rural Areas with Internet Access ~5%
Old November 2nd 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 10/31/2010 3:24 PM, Brenda Ann wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
At least here, CRI has replaced the BBC or Radio Moscow with being the
all bands all the time radio station. If you had a shortwave radio in
the 1960's, 1970's or 1980's you know exactly what I mean.

Here in Korea, CRI has such a strong signal that any shortwave radio,
even sans antenna, can receive them like a local. And our local AMBCB
stations run into the 1.5 MW and above range...

If I remember correctly, the strongest AM station, ever, here in the USA
was a 500,000KW or 0.5MW. Might have been WOR many decades ago ...
anyway, people complained about coming over their toasters, dental
appliances, etc.

1.5MW I just can't imagine on AM! I guess if you have a message that
people just don't want to hear, you have to shout LOUDER! lol

Regards,
JS