Old November 22nd 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake R8B Tuning Technique Saves Encoder Wear

Drake R8B Tuning Technique Saves Encoder Wear

After reading several reports of premature Drake R8B tuning knob
mechanical encoder failure, I recall asking Bill Frost, R L Drake
service manager, about it. His cryptic response was, "it a matter of
operator tuning technique." I recall thinking at the time, that he
was referring to the use of the ^ & V (up-arrow & down-arrow) buttons
in lieu of rotating the tuning knob.

That ^ & V tuning button technique is just right for tuning broadcast
stations that transmit on the even five kilohertz'. But there is
something about smoothly gliding along the frequency spectrum that
provides the operator with information about signals preceding and
following the desired frequency, that is absent in jumping along the
spectrum in discrete five kilohertz steps.

Here's how to use the R8's automated slow-scan tuning to glide along
the spectrum in leisurely 10 KHz steps:

1. Set the 'Squelch' full counterclockwise (off)

2. Press 'F', then '6' 'Carrier'

3. Press 'F' then 'Step' until 'X.00' is displayed (10 KHz)

4. Press 'F' then 'A.B' (3), enter high frequency like 26.550 MHz

5. Press '^' (up arrow), enter low frequency like 4.500.00 MHz

6. Press 'F' 'A.B', then 'Scan' to begin scanning, 'Scan' to stop

7. Tune to a desired band low-end frequency, like 4.4 MHz

8. Press 'Scan' to begin scanning from that frequency

9. Press '^ or V' (up arrow or down arrow) to reverse scan
direction

10. Press 'Scan' to stop, then enter another frequency

11. Press 'Scan' to begin scanning from that new frequency

12. Press 'Scan' again to stop the scan when an interesting
station is tuned

Once the 'A.B' frequency registers are loaded with upper-limit and
lower-limit frequencies, you can slow-scan from any new frequency very
easily. And you don't even need to touch the tuning knob.

Although these instructions look a bit daunting at first glance,
you'll find that actual operation is intuitive and easy once the 'A.B'
frequency registers are properly initialized; just tune to a frequency
and press 'Scan.' Simple.

This technique should have specifically been included in the owner's
manual in my opinion.

Opinions on the use of this technique are welcome as are any other
tuning techniques you may find useful.

Old November 23rd 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It makes me wonder why Drake chose to use an electromechanical encoder
for the tuning knob when optoelectronic ones are easily available. The
Lowe HF-150 (which if my memory serves was manufactured during
approximately the same period) uses one, and I'm reasonably certain it
sold at a lower price point than the Drake.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR
Old November 23rd 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:05:40 -0600, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote in
:

On 11/22/10 16:08 , Larry Dighera wrote:

Drake R8B Tuning Technique Saves Encoder Wear

[tuning technique deleted]

Opinions on the use of this technique are welcome as are any other
tuning techniques you may find useful.

Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. I hope you find it useful.

Old November 23rd 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 22, 6:13*pm, David Barts
wrote:
It makes me wonder why Drake chose to use an electromechanical encoder
for the tuning knob when optoelectronic ones are easily available. The
Lowe HF-150 (which if my memory serves was manufactured during
approximately the same period) uses one, and I'm reasonably certain it
sold at a lower price point than the Drake.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR

The Icom R75 uses optical encoders too. Works fine.

Old November 23rd 10, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/23/10 02:45 , bpnjensen wrote:
On Nov 22, 6:13 pm, David
wrote:
It makes me wonder why Drake chose to use an electromechanical encoder
for the tuning knob when optoelectronic ones are easily available. The
Lowe HF-150 (which if my memory serves was manufactured during
approximately the same period) uses one, and I'm reasonably certain it
sold at a lower price point than the Drake.

--
David Barts
Portland, OR

The Icom R75 uses optical encoders too. Works fine.

My SW-2 had a mechanical encoder, too. It got so flaky, I started
looking for options. Peter G. posted a mod for converting Drake
mechanical encoders to an optical encoder. I was about to go that
way before someone posted a procedure for cleaning and relubricating
the mechanical model that would eliminate the current problem and
forestall future issues. I opted for the cleaning, and never had
another problem for the remainder of the time I owned the radio.

I'll try to dig up that remedy.

Old November 23rd 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D. Peter Maus wrote:

Opinions on the use of this technique are welcome as are any other
tuning techniques you may find useful.

Thanks for the tip.

Sold mine and bought a TenTec. The tuning knob was always the worst
thing about the R8B but I never used it much. I used Smart R8 Control
and rarely touched the radio (except for the volume knob).

http://www.fineware-swl.com/about.html
Old November 23rd 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Please do. I've been skew tuning my SW2 for about ten years now.
Old June 16th 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Has anyone with a SW2 worked out a cleaning detail for a non responsive key pad?
My encoder is working aok along with the up/down buttons, but I have to use my infrared remote for all other functions? Is the part available??
Thank you,
Barry / N1QWA