Old December 6th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What is happening to shortwave?

On Dec 5, 9:20*pm, "Ric Trexell" wrote:
I'm only a casual listener to SW and I only have a Grundig 400YB that I have
had for 15 years or so, but now when I go through the channels, I find
mainly static and an occasional Christian (or so called) station. *I have
found a few from Europe and ofcourse a few Spanish stations, but in the old
days you would find the BBC on about 5 stations, VOA on several and a host
of others. *I mainly use my radio to check the time signals. *Speaking of
which, I seem to only get them on 2500, 5000 and 10,000. *Are they still on
20,000 and 25,000? *I know the internet has put a lot of stations out of
business, but there seems to be a lot of bandwidth not being used. *If my
radio died, I really don't know if I would replace it. Ric.

There really has not been much on the shortwave broadcast bands for
the past 10 years. There are still some bible pounders for momentary
fun but that's really about it. The always entertaining survivalists
have all but abandoned shortwave as well. The active days of SWLing
peaked in the 1980's and began a decline. As the internet became a
more efficient way to communicate the falloff in SWL targets declined
even faster. The ham bands are experiencing a more prolonged decline.