Old December 6th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default What is happening to shortwave?

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:20:30 -0600, "Ric Trexell"
wrote:

I'm only a casual listener to SW and I only have a Grundig 400YB that I have
had for 15 years or so, but now when I go through the channels, I find
mainly static and an occasional Christian (or so called) station. I have
found a few from Europe and ofcourse a few Spanish stations, but in the old
days you would find the BBC on about 5 stations, VOA on several and a host
of others. I mainly use my radio to check the time signals. Speaking of
which, I seem to only get them on 2500, 5000 and 10,000. Are they still on
20,000 and 25,000? I know the internet has put a lot of stations out of
business, but there seems to be a lot of bandwidth not being used. If my
radio died, I really don't know if I would replace it. Ric.

Hearing WWV on 20 MHz just before sunset in SE Michigan - 2200UTC @ S8
with a heterodyne from some other station. WWVH is not on 20 MHz.

I notice if you can find a quiet location that you can hear more DX
stations due to the loss of some the high power international
broadcasters, except of course China. China has more transmitters on
the air than most I think although as of 2008 some South American
countries are in the lead according to this website (Peru 189 SW
stations):
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/me...dcast-stations

I don't think this takes into account the jammers such as the Chinese
music jammer or utility jammers.

Jim
Old December 7th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/me...-radio-broadca...

I don't think this takes into account the jammers such as the Chinese
music jammer or utility jammers.

Jim

Don't know of any standard time station operating on 20MHz at
present,other than WWV. Could be some utility/service transmission.

Could be one of those guys in Cuba running one of those transmitters
built from scavenged CFL parts.

Just kidding. One of the most interesting shows on shortwave is Arnie
Coro's DX'ers Unlimited on Sunday and Tuesday night on Radio Havana.

Jim
Old December 7th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, Arnie has his head up his Communist ass these days with regards to keeping
RHC's transmitter plant properly working and also with jamming other countries
transmissions.

Ah, the 'workers paradise'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 7th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

snip
music jammer or utility jammers.

Jim

Don't know of any standard time station operating on 20MHz at
present,other than WWV. Could be some utility/service transmission.

Could be one of those guys in Cuba running one of those transmitters
built from scavenged CFL parts.

Just kidding. One of the most interesting shows on shortwave is Arnie
Coro's DX'ers Unlimited on Sunday and Tuesday night on Radio Havana.

Unfortunately, Arnie has his head up his Communist ass these days with regards to keeping
RHC's transmitter plant properly working and also with jamming other countries
transmissions.

Ah, the 'workers paradise'.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Its a free-for-all around 6.0Mhz. It seems as if everyone feels they
need to be in the first 100kHz of the band. I hope as the upper bands
open up that the radio broadcasters will take advantage of it and give
a little breathing room to the lower bands. I finally heard Radio
Serbia's interval signal last week. Either a station moved or the band
was short and closer stations were blacked out.

Jim(MI)
Old December 8th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 18:25:25 -0500, dxAce

snip
[...]

What time is Arnie on tonight? If it's early enough I'll try to give a listen. I hear he's
been bashing Glenn Hauser lately.

I must have missed that week. I have not heard him bash anybody. Any
idea what he said?

The show is repeated a bunch of times 8:35,9:35 or 10:35,11:35EST I
think. Sorry I did not get back sooner. Signed into the 3905 Century
Club on 40 meters. It was rough. Denmark was coming in better than US
stations.

By the way, anyone wanting to listen to the show, best frequency is
usually 6.000MHz except for the first broadcast when there is QRM.

Jim

Old December 8th 10, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 7, 9:19*pm, wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

RHC has more simultaneous transmissions on at least a dozen different
frequencies, especially at night. Sometimes they are the only station
audible due to extremely poor propagation.