Old January 20th 11, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal

Default OT - My Sirrus XM Radio Nightmare

Recently I took the Sirrus Radio XM Plunge and ordered their portable
radio with MP3 player. Boy was that a mistake. When the radio arrived the
antenna coax was too short so I had to order a 50 foot extension. Once the
antenna coax I arrived I went about setting up my XM radio. As I tuned
around the channels I couldn't find any sports channels or Howard Stern, I
hadn't listened to him since he went to Sirrus, I then called XM where the
lady with a heavy foreign accent using a VOIP line that was muffled
informed to get those channels I would have to pay an additional $44. Well
OK I said I wanted to be able to listen to weekend sports while on my
daily exercise at the park. After the extended channels were activated all
of sudden every 45 seconds the audio on the radio would cut out for about
four seconds. It didn't matter if I used a car stereo, plugged in a
external speaker or used the players head phone jack it would cut out, but
the Sat signal was 100%.
Dealing with XM tech support amounted to calling and getting put into
voice mail jail then being disconnected. When I did get a tech they didn't
know anything, I don't even think they knew they worked on behalf of XM or
Sirrus radio.
After fifteen days of going back and forth I finally throw in the towel
and after four attempts I was able to get an RMA number. So I sent the
radio, coax and software (BTW, the XM MP3 Software works only w/ WinXP
32-bit nothing else) back to XM via UPS with all parts in their original
packaging. Was that good enough for XM? Hell no it wasn't. They claimed
they didn't get all the parts back when I called them weeks later about my
refund. So I asked them what parts I didn't return? They didn't know what
parts were missing, but they insisted they were missing. After several
more calls I finally was awarded the credit for the XM radio. However
according to XM since I had not canceled the subscription within the first
30 days they would keep my 220.00 subscription fees.
Lucky for me I kept a copy of all my XM documentation and printed out the
contract, item five plainly stated I could return the radio and cancel the
service by calling them upon return of my radio which I did. So I gathered
up all the documentation made copies and used highlights to show return of
the items by UPS, the subscription and equipment refund clause then sent
them to my credit card company to dispute the charges. After 20 days the
CC credited my account the subscription fees.
All I can say Shortwave never caused this much headache and I even had to
install a long wire antenna to catch the transmissions.

Old January 20th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 20, 5:52*am, Gregg & His Ugly Wife
wrote:
[...]

The Free Over-the-Air Satellite Radio seems to be the
better option then XM & SIRIUS Subscription Satellite
Radio.
Old January 20th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gregg& His Ugly Wife wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you had a defective radio.

It also sounds like the amalgamation of Sirius and XM has done
nothing for XM's customer service, which was adequate, but little more.

Sorry you had this experience.

When I signed up, they were starving for subscribers, so I got
very good service. I also took advantage of the lifetime
subscription option when it was available. And haven't had to deal
with them since.

Tough times usually produce two things: 1) Better companies, or
2) Worse service. It would seem that Sirius/XM has taken the latter
option.

Old January 20th 11, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal

On 01/20/2011 05:52 AM, Gregg & His Ugly Wife wrote:
[...]

I have a mobile 3G/4G wifi hotspot that plugs into my cigar lighter. I
listen to any station I want, from anywhere in the world, on my iPod
plugged into my AUX IN. I will not renew with Sirius.

Old January 20th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal

On 01/20/2011 06:18 AM, RHF wrote:

You can Buy one for around $200 and their is NO Monthly
Fees there-after.
http://gofastmotorsports.com/SatelliteDish.jpg

I don't think they'll let you on the freeway with that...
Old January 20th 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,misc.legal

On 01/20/2011 06:42 AM, Keith wrote:

I would if it didn't require a 2 1/2 foot antenna dish. I can hide a 24
gauge long wire with black insulation much easier from my Apt window :-)

Have you tried "Shoutcast" or "V-tuner" or "Icecast" or the radio
streaming part of "iTunes"? Satellite radio is obsolete unless you're a
trucker in West Texas. The audio quality is horrible. There are 20,000
free stations on the web, a lot of them are totally non-commercial.

taintradio.org

Grundig G4 nightmare m II Shortwave 2 August 25th 09 07:32 PM
Sirrus Notes James Douglas Shortwave 20 January 5th 06 09:03 PM
Sirrus Notes [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 1st 06 04:03 PM
Sirrus Notes [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 1st 06 03:08 PM
RFI Nightmare [email protected] Shortwave 0 September 2nd 05 08:04 PM