Old February 13th 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Mountains don't simply block HF

On Feb 13, 3:26*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:09*pm, dave wrote:

The signals don't travel; a field is set up around the transmitter
antenna, like turning on a lamp. When the field encounters an
obstruction it "knife-edges" and Fresnel zones are created, which may
help or totally prevent reception, depending on the math (distance from
transmitter to obstruction, from obstruction to receiver, blah blah). I
am in a box canyon, open only to the South. If mountains stopped the
signals completely, all I'd get would be penguins.

A sort of diffraction effect. *Makes sense. - however, I would bet
some RF is blocked by either reflection or absorption, and the
probable chaotic diffraction from irregular edges likely results in a
pretty unpredictable pattern.

I don't quite picture this : mountains and canyons . Obviously-- no
line of sight signals such as local AM and FM broadcasts, very poor
groundwave propagation . Now, why is skywave affected as well ? What
can possibly block HF signals ?
Old February 13th 11, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 13, 3:59*pm, dave wrote:
On 02/13/2011 12:50 PM, wrote:

On Feb 13, 3:26 pm, *wrote:
On Feb 13, 12:09 pm, *wrote:

[...]

The good skywaves come from 10 to 20 degrees up. The mountains are
higher than that. I get no VHF/UHF TV. I get FM from Mt. Wilson,
severely degraded. I get MW like gangbusters.- Hide quoted text -

This must be a pretty good (quiet ) RF environment . When conditions
are great, though .
Old February 14th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Near Vertical Incident Skywave (NVIS) Antennas -cause- MountainsCan't Block All Shortwave Radio Signals [HF RF]

On 02/13/2011 07:18 PM, RHF wrote:

.
.
iNane ~ RHF
.
.

Old February 15th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 14, 6:49*am, dave wrote:

- 'Special-Dave's [edit] : "iNane" ~ RHF

-was-and-still-is-
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...59c30f736eb418

Old February 15th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default SWL 'Loop' Antenna : Going Beyond the Common SWLer's Straight-Wire Antenna

On Feb 15, 5:42*am, dave wrote:
On 02/14/2011 07:51 PM, RHF wrote:

On Feb 14, 6:49 am, *wrote:

- 'Special-Dave's [edit] : "iNane" ~ RHF

- - On 02/13/2011 07:18 PM, RHF wrote:

-was-and-still-is-
Near Vertical Incident Skywave (NVIS) Antennas
-cause-
Mountains Can't Block All Shortwave Radio Signals [HF RF]
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...59c30f736eb418
* .
* .
'Special-Dave',

It's Replies Like This That Make You 'Special' ;;-}}

inane'ly yours... iane ~ RHF
* .
* .

- NVIS is for local, not DX.

Given a SWL'ers Location and Circumstances...
What You Get -is- What You Get :
Local : DX : or Both : and sometimes None