Old March 1st 11, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default DRM and shortwave

I don't doubt that DRM has certain advantages over AM/SSB transmission
on HF frequencies - but as I listen on my conventional radio to
transmissions of this mode from stations such as Radio New Zealand,
and the obnoxious sound it makes across a 10 kHz wide piece of the
spectrum, I have to wonder if anyone out there in their intended
service area is actually using this mode. I guess I can imagine a few
folks in East Asia who may have these receivers, but across the
islands I cannot imagine they are common at all. Does New Zealand do
this to reach better into the Asian interior? To antipodal Europe?

Still, they are not as obnoxious as CRI, who insist on plugging up
every other frequency with a transmission 24/7, covering up dozens of
other stations who now have no hope of being heard as a result...

Bruce Jensen
Old March 1st 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:04:44 -0800 (PST), bpnjensen
wrote:

I don't doubt that DRM has certain advantages over AM/SSB transmission
on HF frequencies - but as I listen on my conventional radio to
transmissions of this mode from stations such as Radio New Zealand,
and the obnoxious sound it makes across a 10 kHz wide piece of the
spectrum, I have to wonder if anyone out there in their intended
service area is actually using this mode. I guess I can imagine a few
folks in East Asia who may have these receivers, but across the
islands I cannot imagine they are common at all. Does New Zealand do
this to reach better into the Asian interior? To antipodal Europe?

DRM's 10kHz wide signal is preferable to the 30 kHz wide IBLOCK mode
used on the AM band.

Jim

Old March 1st 11, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 1, 1:06*pm, Kevin Alfred Strom
wrote:
On 3/1/2011 3:19 PM, wrote:
[...] DRM's 10kHz wide signal is preferable to the 30 kHz wide IBLOCK mode
used on the AM band.

[...]

Yes it is. Almost anything is.

Actually, though, DRM is a solid 11 kHz wide. With its even power
distribution, it is far more annoying on HF when near a desired
signal than is even a much wider high-fidelity AM signal, which has
only intermittent high-frequency energy.

Presently TDF Issoudun relays RFI via DRM on 3965 kHz (1 kw) and BBC
Skelton uses 250 kW of DRM on 3955. Both, especially the BBC, play
havoc with US amateur operations on 75 meters.

With all good wishes,

Kevin, WB4AIO.
--http://nationalvanguard.org/http://kevinalfredstrom.com/

Thanks for this, guys. I listen to AM rarely, so I don't get much
Ibiquitude.
Old March 1st 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 1, 11:04*am, bpnjensen wrote:
I don't doubt that DRM has certain advantages over AM/SSB transmission
on HF frequencies - but as I listen on my conventional radio to
transmissions of this mode from stations such as Radio New Zealand,
and the obnoxious sound it makes across a 10 kHz wide piece of the
spectrum, I have to wonder if anyone out there in their intended
service area is actually using this mode. *I guess I can imagine a few
folks in East Asia who may have these receivers, but across the
islands I cannot imagine they are common at all. *Does New Zealand do
this to reach better into the Asian interior? *To antipodal Europe?

Still, they are not as obnoxious as CRI, who insist on plugging up
every other frequency with a transmission 24/7, covering up dozens of
other stations who now have no hope of being heard as a result...

Bruce Jensen

DRM as a Broadcast Media seems to Work Best out
to 3500 km ~ 2200 Miles which is a Natural for Radio
New Zealand's Over-the-Ocean-Area Broadcast Scheme.