Old March 6th 11, 08:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Which NRD option to add

NRD-535 STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

Old March 6th 11, 08:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 3:16*am, "Larry" wrote:
NRD-535 *STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

From what I recall, there were several production changes. It is
important to establish which version is in your hands first (serial
number) . Did you look inside the receiver to know for sure which
modules are installed ?
Old March 6th 11, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 12:51*am, wrote:
On Mar 6, 3:16*am, "Larry" wrote:

NRD-535 *STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

From what I recall, there were several production changes. It is
important to establish which version is in your hands first (serial
number) . Did you look inside the receiver to know for sure which
modules are installed ?

True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.
Old March 6th 11, 09:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 6, 12:16*am, "Larry" wrote:
NRD-535 *STOCK
Mostly listen to Utility stations therefore which would be the best to
install: the ECSS board or the BWC unit (continuous bandwidth control)?
LARRY

junk-in *is* JUNK-OUT !
Old March 6th 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 6th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 5:42*am, dxAce wrote:
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). *The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Man, that's tempting.
Old March 6th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 03/06/2011 05:42 AM, dxAce wrote:

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

They look way better than they perform.
Old March 6th 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:42 am, dxAce wrote:
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Man, that's tempting.

Pricey. But, I do recall buying a minty 515, with the memory unit, and I think a
matching speaker for around $850 or so back in the early 90's or so, via the Ham
Trader Yellow Sheets. I almost recall it coming with something else, perhaps some
add on box that added sync or something, it might have been some kinda Kiwa box.
The add on box was black, and had a few knobs on it. Maybe it was a Sherwood thing.

At any rate, I considered it a steal at the time, but, I never cared for NRD audio,
though they were certainly pretty.

Sold it all at a nice profit.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 6th 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 607383bb-8b76-4e89-baa9-
, says...

On Mar 6, 5:42*am, dxAce wrote:
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:
bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). *The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Man, that's tempting.

Especially since I'm very familiar with this exact radio. A friend of
mine owned it for over 20 years. I would love to grab it up, but not for
that much! It is an awesome reciever. I wonder how it wound up at
Universal...

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!
Old March 6th 11, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

bpnjensen wrote:
True - but if you like utes, ECSS is probably not terribly important
(that's like S-AM). The bandwidth control would probably be a better
choice.

The ECSS unit is a particularly poor one. I makes a loud howl when it loses
sync, which it does often.

Thinking of the NRD series I see that Universal has a 515 up for sale:

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

They look way better than they perform.

I beg to differ. That one in particular was fanastic on SSB and RTTY
modes.

--
BDK- Top of the government shill heap for over 10 years running!