Old July 8th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

Default First radio that got you into DX-ing?

Little transistor, laying up in bed with it all night long, seeing what
you can pick up on it.
cuhulin

Old July 8th 11, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 7, 11:33*pm, (J R) wrote:
Little transistor, laying up in bed with it all night long, seeing what
you can pick up on it.
cuhulin

Some of the early European transistor gadgets weren't so tiny at all !
Many of them weighed even more than the usual tabletop radios
( because of the batteries,of course) .
Old July 8th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...nsistor+Radios

I don't remember the name of it, but back in the middle 1950s, I ordered
a little transistor radio that was made in Kearney,Kansas.It didn't have
a speaker, it had an earphone hard wired to the radio.I think I paid
$10.00 for that radio.It wasen't worth a Sh!t! and I mean that
Literally, that POS! wouldn't hardly pick up Anything at all!.There used
to be ads in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics and Science &
Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated magazines about those radios.
I still have some of those old magazines here, later on I will look and
see what the name of that POS! so-called 'radio' is.
Kearney,Kansas, y'all don't know Sh!t! about building radios, and that
is a FACT!
cuhulin

Old July 8th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
J R J R is offline

ooops, Kearney,Nebraska, not Kansas.I Ajolopize to the fine people of
Kansas.
cuhulin

Old July 9th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 8, 7:51*am, dave wrote:
On 07/07/2011 11:05 PM, wrote:

On Jul 7, 11:33 pm, (J R) wrote:
Little transistor, laying up in bed with it all night long, seeing what
you can pick up on it.
cuhulin

Some of the early European transistor gadgets weren't so tiny at all !
Many of them weighed even more than the usual tabletop radios
( because of the batteries,of course) .

Huh? You could get a regular size with a handle 6 transistor radio or a
pocket 6 transistor radio. The regular ones used a lot of cells to get
to 9 VDC, sure, but they were never meant to be a pocket size portable.

Don't forget-- some people have verrry deep pockets .