Old February 7th 12, 09:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Wellbrook loop vs Pixel Technology's RF Pro-1A

On Feb 5, 12:48*pm, "Justis" wrote:
Par Electronics EF-SWL
"Cheaper just to roll your own transformer and hook up a wire to it."
I have a 9::1 balun.
This coax cable they describe, would any other cable say RG8/RG6 do the same
job? * Live close to heavy industry and the noise at times just blankets the
area.

-* NEED a quiet antenna. *Thanks for the help!
- R71A, NRD-535, NRD-525, E1 Main receivers.

"dxAce" wrote in message

Justis wrote:

Found!
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Par Electronics EF-SWL

Do you or some of the others have any input on this antenna? * *Seems a
bit
too good to be true but great if it works.

Cheaper just to roll your own transformer and hook up a wire to it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA- Hide quoted text -

Justis,

Try a single turn Horizontal [Flat] Loop Antenna using
a Coax Cable RG6 'Quad-Shield' [72 Ohm] and a 4:1
Matching Transformer. -versus- a Long Wire Antenna

Use a single insulated multi-strand wire for the Antenna
Element; or use 300 Ohm [TV] Twin Lead run as a
parallel [2] wire single turn loop.

Any 3~4~or~more points to mount the Loop will do
Does not have to be a perfect circle or square.
Does not have to be perfectly flat generally horazontal
will do.

iane ~ RHF
Old February 8th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for describing this antenna in an easy to understand fashion.
"bpnjensen" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 3:08 pm, "Justis" wrote:
Found!http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Par Electronics EF-SWL

Do you or some of the others have any input on this antenna? Seems a bit
too good to be true but great if it works.

"Justis" wrote in message

Thanks for the comparison link,. I've been waiting for this and maybe a
few more antenna comparisons as well.
There was one advertised recently and I remember it was a piece of coax
that you could lay around the apartment and it supposedly gave you
remarkable results for around $75 plus shipping CONUS. I've done a
search of cable antennas but cannot find it now. Perhaps you or someone
can remember this. Anyway thanks for your time.
"Steve" wrote in message
For the diminishing number of you who are still interested, here's a
link to a review comparing one of the Wellbrook loops to Pixel
Technology's RF Pro-1A magnetic loop antenna:

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/reviews/...O-1AReview.pdf

I still prefer a tuned, passive loop to the amplified, broadband
variety.

The PAR EF-SWL is actually a random wire with a very well made
matching transformer. It is likely to be a very good antenna of its
type. The antenna "radiator" is not a coax, but a plain insulated
flex-weave wire, designed ideally to be suspended at some height above
the ground. If installed properly, it should provide a good signal to
noise ratio.

The Wellbrooks are somewhat more elaborate designs, amplified magnetic
loops. They work very well in RF-noisy places, but you pay for
compactness and performance.

Bruce Jensen

Old February 8th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks RHF, looks like I just might be able to tame some of the noise after
all. I know it's best to have a good receiver and that it's only half the
battle. Not much good without a "good" quiet antenna as well. I was
getting pretty discouraged trying to listen to weak stations with all the
man-made noise in the area. I think this group may have set me on the right
path for more quality listening. Thanks for sharing your expertise.