Old November 29th 12, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default anyone familiar with Kenwood RZ-1 and a failure mode?

The Kenwood RZ-1 was a great little car radio sized unit
which fit into a standard DIN frame and received 500 khz
through 905 mhz. Oh, and while no longer useful, even had
a video output...

I recently found mine which had been in a box for, umm,
well let's just say I'd have to take off my shoes to
count that high (and you don't want to be anywhere near
me if I do that...) years.

It still functions well, except for one very big problem.
The display, on a scale of one to ten, is about 0.5. In
other words, just about completely unlit.

Now what I'm hoping is that this can be fixed by, for
example, replacing the "lifetime" battery that's buried
somewhere in the unit. Or possibly some other plausable
bit of elbow grease.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks muchly.

Old November 29th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"danny burstein" wrote in message ...

The Kenwood RZ-1 was a great little car radio sized unit
which fit into a standard DIN frame and received 500 khz
through 905 mhz. Oh, and while no longer useful, even had
a video output...

I recently found mine which had been in a box for, umm,
well let's just say I'd have to take off my shoes to
count that high (and you don't want to be anywhere near
me if I do that...) years.

It still functions well, except for one very big problem.
The display, on a scale of one to ten, is about 0.5. In
other words, just about completely unlit.

Now what I'm hoping is that this can be fixed by, for
example, replacing the "lifetime" battery that's buried
somewhere in the unit. Or possibly some other plausable
bit of elbow grease.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks muchly.

What you will need to do with that radio (as I had to do with mine when I
purchased it a few years ago), is to pull the display apart and replace the
little grain-of-rice lamps that sit in behind it to light the display. It's
not as difficult as it may sound, actually pretty simple.

Old November 29th 12, 01:14 PM
Senior Member

Send it back to a authorized Kenwood repair center and have it repaired..

The memory battery would have nothing to do with the display brightness.

Most radios uses some type of driver / driver chip, and the display could be LCD / LED etc etc etc......
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old December 1st 12, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/29/2012 05:14 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:
Send it back to a authorized Kenwood repair center and have it
repaired..

The memory battery would have nothing to do with the display
brightness.

Most radios uses some type of driver / driver chip, and the display
could be LCD / LED etc etc etc......

As I recall Kenwood sold out that model and warned that it would not be
able to support it.
Old December 10th 12, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"danny burstein" wrote in message ...

Now what I'm hoping is that this can be fixed by, for
example, replacing the "lifetime" battery that's buried
somewhere in the unit. Or possibly some other plausable
bit of elbow grease.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks muchly.

Have any luck with that display?