Old February 16th 14, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FT5ZM - QRT?

The T32C operation in October 2011 made 213,169 QSO's.

The VP6DX, Ducie Island, operation in February 2008 made 183,686 QSO's.

Again, if FT5ZM would've been able to stay another week they would have beat
VP6DX and could very well have challanged the total of T32C.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message

VegasNightOwl wrote:

Their last QSO was at 02:20z on 2/12/14. The final total QSO count
stands
at 170,010. Impressive to say the least.

I recall hearing something about trying to hit over 180,000 Q's to beat
some
kind of DXpedition record.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message
From their website: "With almost 165,000 QSO's, FT5ZM is now QRT".

dxAce wrote:

I think FT5ZM on Amsterdam Island has gone QRT (signed off, for those
in
Glendale), as I have seen no spots for them for a while.

They were to begin teardown on the 12th, which is certainly nearing
their
location, if not already there.

It was certainly interesting to hear them here from such a distant
spot
on the
globe.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 16th 14, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On 2/15/2014 6:39 AM, dxAce wrote:
I wasn't really interested in a QSL from them. I did hear them on at least 5
bands, the lowest being 40 meters. I never did try 75/80 or 160. It sure was
nice to hear them on 40, spectacular.

As Glenn Hauser mentioned, it might be nice if they'd set up some sort of
rudimentary broadcast for SWL's so we might add another country to our totals.

You bring up an interesting point: Do ham DXpeditions QSL for SWL reports?

Not sure why they would need "some sort of rudimentary broadcast for
SWL's". The usual procedure for an SWL request to a ham is to give the
time, frequency and station he was in contact with. Been that way for
decades.

On 2/15/2014 3:27 PM, dxAce wrote:

Because, what they do as amateur radio operators does not count as a 'broadcast
station'.

Picky, picky, picky...

Hams have been QSLing SWLs for years; got a few SWL cards myself that I
responded to back in the day.

Too bad 'they' don't count regular ham operations as a "broadcast" -- as
the hams ARE broadcasting. Better to get something than to get nothing,
as it is *extremely* unlikely that there will ever be a "broadcast"
station on Amsterdam. What difference does it make if the hams make a
"fake" SWL broadcast? Same station, same ops. Plus Hauser seems to have
overlooked the fact that it is *illegal* for hams to make "broadcast"
type of broadcasts.

You are mistaken.

As usual.

Just like *you* were mistaken about "Heard Island" and VK0JJJ?

You'd have to blame the spotter on the website where I saw it.

As usual, another short / selective memory, huh?

Stuff something up it, clown 'tard.

Old February 16th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

[...]

Additionally, when I just looked it up, the call comes up as " HEARD & MACQUARIE
ISLANDS - AUSTRALIA "

http://hamcall.net/call?entry=VK0JJJ

The spots show up he
http://hamcall.net/dxspots?includePhone=on&spotterSpottedEither=Spott er&spotDistance=50&spotstosend=10&refreshrate=1+%2 8need+to+log+in%29