Old February 11th 14, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default FT5ZM - QRT?

I think FT5ZM on Amsterdam Island has gone QRT (signed off, for those in
Glendale), as I have seen no spots for them for a while.

They were to begin teardown on the 12th, which is certainly nearing their
location, if not already there.

It was certainly interesting to hear them here from such a distant spot on the
globe.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 13th 14, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

VegasNightOwl wrote:

Their last QSO was at 02:20z on 2/12/14. The final total QSO count stands
at 170,010. Impressive to say the least.

I recall hearing something about trying to hit over 180,000 Q's to beat some
kind of DXpedition record.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message
From their website: "With almost 165,000 QSO's, FT5ZM is now QRT".

Old February 15th 14, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I forget which DXpedition has the all time record, and what the total was.
If they would've been able to stay 3 to 4 days longer I'm certain 185,000 if
not more, would've been reached.

If you copied them and any of the calls that they mentioned (use for
verification purposes), plus it helps fill in holes since sometimes a call
might've been copied incorrectly, or not at all. They will send you their
QSL card, which I'm certain will be nice!!

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message

VegasNightOwl wrote:

Their last QSO was at 02:20z on 2/12/14. The final total QSO count
stands
at 170,010. Impressive to say the least.

I recall hearing something about trying to hit over 180,000 Q's to beat
some
kind of DXpedition record.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message
From their website: "With almost 165,000 QSO's, FT5ZM is now QRT".

Old February 15th 14, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

VegasNightOwl wrote:

I forget which DXpedition has the all time record, and what the total was.
If they would've been able to stay 3 to 4 days longer I'm certain 185,000 if
not more, would've been reached.

If you copied them and any of the calls that they mentioned (use for
verification purposes), plus it helps fill in holes since sometimes a call
might've been copied incorrectly, or not at all. They will send you their
QSL card, which I'm certain will be nice!!

I wasn't really interested in a QSL from them. I did hear them on at least 5
bands, the lowest being 40 meters. I never did try 75/80 or 160. It sure was
nice to hear them on 40, spectacular.

As Glenn Hauser mentioned, it might be nice if they'd set up some sort of
rudimentary broadcast for SWL's so we might add another country to our totals.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message

VegasNightOwl wrote:

Their last QSO was at 02:20z on 2/12/14. The final total QSO count
stands
at 170,010. Impressive to say the least.

I recall hearing something about trying to hit over 180,000 Q's to beat
some
kind of DXpedition record.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message
From their website: "With almost 165,000 QSO's, FT5ZM is now QRT".

Old February 15th 14, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/15/2014 6:39 AM, dxAce wrote:
I wasn't really interested in a QSL from them. I did hear them on at least 5
bands, the lowest being 40 meters. I never did try 75/80 or 160. It sure was
nice to hear them on 40, spectacular.

As Glenn Hauser mentioned, it might be nice if they'd set up some sort of
rudimentary broadcast for SWL's so we might add another country to our totals.

You bring up an interesting point: Do ham DXpeditions QSL for SWL reports?

Not sure why they would need "some sort of rudimentary broadcast for
SWL's". The usual procedure for an SWL request to a ham is to give the
time, frequency and station he was in contact with. Been that way for
decades.

The policy might vary with each DXpedition -- but it never hurts to try.
Usually most expeditions have a web site and a QSL manager, so ask. If
you can copy them and the station they were working at the time, it
might be worth a shot.

It also wouldn't hurt to enclose a small donation with your QSL request.
(You may think this is "buying" your QSL -- but IMHO it is not. These
expeditions cost BIG money ($460,000 for Amsterdam) and they are still
in the hole).

Old February 15th 14, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On 2/15/2014 6:39 AM, dxAce wrote:
I wasn't really interested in a QSL from them. I did hear them on at least 5
bands, the lowest being 40 meters. I never did try 75/80 or 160. It sure was
nice to hear them on 40, spectacular.

As Glenn Hauser mentioned, it might be nice if they'd set up some sort of
rudimentary broadcast for SWL's so we might add another country to our totals.

You bring up an interesting point: Do ham DXpeditions QSL for SWL reports?

Not sure why they would need "some sort of rudimentary broadcast for
SWL's". The usual procedure for an SWL request to a ham is to give the
time, frequency and station he was in contact with. Been that way for
decades.

Because, what they do as amateur radio operators does not count as a 'broadcast
station'.

You are mistaken.

As usual.

Old February 15th 14, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2/15/2014 3:27 PM, dxAce wrote:

Because, what they do as amateur radio operators does not count as a 'broadcast
station'.

Picky, picky, picky...

Hams have been QSLing SWLs for years; got a few SWL cards myself that I
responded to back in the day.

Too bad 'they' don't count regular ham operations as a "broadcast" -- as
the hams ARE broadcasting. Better to get something than to get nothing,
as it is *extremely* unlikely that there will ever be a "broadcast"
station on Amsterdam. What difference does it make if the hams make a
"fake" SWL broadcast? Same station, same ops. Plus Hauser seems to have
overlooked the fact that it is *illegal* for hams to make "broadcast"
type of broadcasts.

You are mistaken.

As usual.

Just like *you* were mistaken about "Heard Island" and VK0JJJ?

As usual, another short / selective memory, huh?

Old February 16th 14, 07:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dxpeditions like these will more than likely QSL a SWL. That's why I made
the point of stating when you file a reception report, along with the date,
time and frequency, mention about 20 to 25 complete calls that they worked.
Example, if you had heard FT5ZM say "W3XX your 59." Some silence , then,
"W3XX QSL, QRZ this is FT5ZM" You've just copied a complete, yet one sided
QSO, but it's good.

Amateur radios stations are not allowed to "broadcast". It is setup to be a
2-way communication, not one way, like a broadcast station. So copying an
amateur station from a rare DX location would be just as good of a catch for
a SWL as another amateur station working them.

Glenn has an interesting point about adding another country to their totals.
These stations are granted an operating license, and for those locations
that are islands, landing permission. Both of these documents are legal and
binding for under which the controlling parant country operates. In the
case of FT5ZM, it was France. For any group or entity who keeps track of
these countries for SWL's not to accept them as a new country needs to wake
up and smell the coffee. My best assumption is they probably feel that
since it's not a "broadcast" station, permanent or not, it won't count.
Foolish thinking, I would say.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message

VegasNightOwl wrote:

Their last QSO was at 02:20z on 2/12/14. The final total QSO count
stands
at 170,010. Impressive to say the least.

I recall hearing something about trying to hit over 180,000 Q's to beat
some
kind of DXpedition record.

VegasNightOwl

"dxAce" wrote in message