Old February 21st 14, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default We are living in a Black Whole.

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:40:39 -0500, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

It's not my intention to start a "computer operating system war", but
please permit me a legitimate observation...

If you are at all interested in ham radio programs, logging programs,
propagation programs and digital mode programs like PSK31, RTTY, JT65,
even monitoring the planet Jupiter, many of these (mostly all free),
will not run on Linux. (Yes, I know about FLDigi, but a lot more out
there than that).

Don't know if Linux has a "Windows emulator" like Mac, but even if it
does, why bother?

Got a friend who knows a lot more about computers than I do (and I'll be
the first to admit that doesn't take much), but all I hear about his
Linux is his never-ending battles with its quirks and various
incompatibility problems with Windows software.

So even though Linux is "free", it appears to have its price.

No war, no flames, just my 2 cents.

You can run Windows in a Virtual Computer on Linux, much safer than
running it natively. There are programs being added all the time. In
fact, Scientific Linux is run by the Fermi Labs and at the atomic labs in
Switzerland, they developed it just for that purpose.
Old February 22nd 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Google,,,, sorendreier.com British floods California drought a connection?
Old February 23rd 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/21/2014 11:35 AM, DhiaDuit wrote:
I received an email this morning from. www.velocitymicro.com says I can get my old Velocity Micro XP desktop computery upgraded for $149.00 plus parts. Microsoft is ending support for XP osperatin system. I am thinkin abouts it.

Get windows 7, not 8.
Old February 23rd 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/21/2014 12:40 PM, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:35:07 -0800, DhiaDuit wrote:

I received an email this morning from. www.velocitymicro.com
says I can get my old Velocity Micro
XP desktop computery upgraded for $149.00 plus parts. Microsoft is
ending support for XP osperatin system. I am thinkin abouts it.

On 2/21/2014 2:41 PM, sctvguy1 wrote:

You should just run Linux. It's free! Just go to distrowatch.com and
download a Linux disc, burn it, and install it.

[...]

That's ridiculous. The open source community is fully engaged re ham
radio, digital modes, dsp, SDR, etc.

If people are trying to run fun stuff on bloatware like Ubuntu, sure,
they'll have trouble. Linux Mint with a light window manager works
great. Dave the fldigi guy is very available. There are forums and
listservers, etc.

I know Larry wouldn't enjoy it, but a lot of us appreciate the
non-commercial world of open source software. It fits very well with the
idea of Amateur Radio. We don't like proprietary stuff as it violates
the spirit of working together for common goals. Please don't sour
lurkers with your generalizations.

Note: WINE [is] Not [a] Windows Emulator
Old February 24th 14, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 5:39:28 PM UTC-6, dave wrote:
[...]

Google,,, Know How: Resurrect an old PC with Linux Youtube

Old February 24th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

This morning I disconnected the Comcast Xfinity TV set top box from my Sony Google TV set. I will leave it disconnected for a few hours, I am seeing that I don't need to pay Comcast for TV channels that I mostly do not watch. I went to. www.fullmovies.cc. and I clicked on a movie, it. Works OK on my Sony Google TV. There are. Plenty of other websites where I can watch movies too. I. Am thinking this week I am going to cancell my TV service.. Last Wednesday I went to the T Mobie retail store, a mile. And a half East behind doggy's couch, and I. Bought a T Mobile alcatel 768 flip phone. $120.54. Includes. 1500 minutes of talk. I think I will cancel my land line phone service too. In all my life I do not think I have ever talked. 1500 minutes on a phone. I rarely ever use my phone. I. Will keep my Internet service though. The money I will save, I will buy. Some new gadgets.
Old February 26th 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, February 24, 2014 10:35:39 AM UTC-6, DhiaDuit wrote:
[...]

Google,,, Mohu Channels Box Doggy said I need one of those too.
Old February 26th 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 02/26/2014 10:41 AM, DhiaDuit wrote:
[...]

Get a Roku and a smart phone from Credo. Unlimited data is $30/month.
4G. Faster than most cable TV supplied internet. Turn on the wifi
hotspot on your phone and feed the Roku.
Old February 26th 14, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

There are two or three Best Buy retail stores in the Jackson metro area I think so. I intend to buy a Roku box sooner or later. A smart phone from Credo eh? I will do a Google for Credo Smart Phones. Do you know their website URL? P'Maw's Bait Shack full episodes are on Youtube. Check it out.
Old February 27th 14, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:19:17 PM UTC-6, DhiaDuit wrote:
There are two or three Best Buy retail stores in the Jackson metro area I think so. I intend to buy a Roku box sooner or later. A smart phone from Credo eh? I will do a Google for Credo Smart Phones. Do you know their website URL? P'Maw's Bait Shack full episodes are on Youtube. Check it out.

Credo is a damn leftist outfit. I won't have anything to do with it.

Egg Shaped Pod For Living! .Richard Clark Antenna 8 March 3rd 10 06:40 AM
Living Will MnMikew Shortwave 0 February 17th 06 03:59 PM
(( OT )) Living will is the best revenge [email protected] Shortwave 0 April 3rd 05 10:10 PM
Slugs are living in my radio ! Tom-Alex Soorhull Dx 2 May 16th 04 02:47 PM
The Living God Preacher Shortwave 6 January 31st 04 02:14 AM