Old October 13th 14, 11:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question for DX Ace

RF Collins wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

dxAce wrote:

RF Collins wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

RF Collins wrote:

Does PBS Xinjiang still use "the east is red" for an interval
signal? Pretty sure I heard it yesterday at 2300 UTC on 7260
kHz in the background.

Not really sure. Seems as though I've heard it in the past few
years though on some broadcast. It certainly was a regular on
the Radio Peking broadcasts many decades ago when everyone had
an interval signal, and digital readouts were a rarity,
everyone needed those interval signals to find what station
they were looking for.

It kind of surprised me when I heard it since it has been a few
years.
Maybe it made a comeback with the recent unrest in Xinjiang
(first part of August).

I was using 7260 kHz to get away from the CRI transmitter (Xian)
on 7220 kHz, but you can't escape. Since Sound of Hope started
using 40 meters for transmissions, it has been hell. SOH was
recently around 7280 kHz. Now there is a CRI broadcast there
(with plenty of splatter) right next to one of my nets on 7285
kHz. Sorry for complaints.

15 meters is in goood shape (2030Z). Just worked St.Helena Is.
Got a 57 with 100 watts.

Great! I'm gonna make a valiant attempt to stay awake to see if I
can hear Xinjiang on 7260 at 2300, though I generally hit the
sack for whatever reason at 2200.

I'd like to hear The East is Red again just for fun.

Thanks for the tip. I did try earlier today on a few Xinjiang
frequencies, but no luck, I think propagation was not in my
favour, but then I did a Google and it almost looked as though
they did not use that interval signal with all language services.

The Pennslyvania QSO party is over at 2200UTC so that will help a
lot.
Good luck. I will listen too.

If you can transmit on 7220 kHz, I will be on from 2200-2300 UT
talking to some guys in Indiana and Iowa. The band may still be
short enough for contact.

Nope, no HF transmit gear here for a long time, though I am licensed.
Got a two meter HT though!

You mentioned working St. Helena, and the other day I looked through
some QSL's (veries for those in Glendale) and saw I had one from
Diego Garcia (been there) and that was with 100 watts and an ICOM 735
and some dipole I threw up.

At any rate I rolling towards 2300 and seeing if the East is still
Red!

Nothing heard here on 7260 just prior to 2300 but CRI in I believe
Portuguese, after they went off I could hear just after 2300 a tune of
some sort but it was barely audible. Could have been PBS Xinjiang.

At any rate, tomorrow is another day.

Glad you heard me on 220.

On 260, CRI was stronger today before sign off, but I could not hear the
PBS station today. Like you said, tomorrow is another day. As the days
shorten, should have better luck too. Talk to you later.

Not sure whether you or others are familiar with this site ot not:

http://www.intervalsignals.net/