Old July 1st 15, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig YB 500 Value

Hello, I just got hold of a Grundig YB 500 in new condition (I think it was a Christmas gift that was never used). Since I still haven't opened the box, I am considering auctioning it off on Ebay. How much would one of these be worth new with all the accessories? Also, if I use gloves in the process of doing so, would a quick test evaluating the functionality decrease or raise the worth of the radio?
Old July 6th 15, 12:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes, it is the yacht boy and I decided to test it (wearing gloves to keep the radio pristine) to confirm functionality and while doing so, found that the audio is wonderful (clearer and louder than my new Tecsun PL-880). Although it doesn't have great sensitivity compared to most of my other radios (Sony ICF SW7600GR, Grundig Satellit 750 & Tocsin PL-880), I suspect it would be a good choice for someone who mostly listens to the stronger stations like RRI and CRI. The RDS is also a nice plus, having fewer decode errors than my Grundig G2 reporter. Also, since this radio has been discontinued for 17 years, is made in Europe and is in new condition with all the original accessories, would $180 (60% the original msrp) be reasonable?
Old July 6th 15, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 6 Jul 2015, wrote:

Yes, it is the yacht boy and I decided to test it (wearing gloves to
keep the radio pristine) to confirm functionality and while doing so,
found that the audio is wonderful (clearer and louder than my new Tecsun
PL-880). Although it doesn't have great sensitivity compared to most of
my other radios (Sony ICF SW7600GR, Grundig Satellit 750 & Tocsin
PL-880), I suspect it would be a good choice for someone who mostly
listens to the stronger stations like RRI and CRI. The RDS is also a
nice plus, having fewer decode errors than my Grundig G2 reporter. Also,
since this radio has been discontinued for 17 years, is made in Europe
and is in new condition with all the original accessories, would $180
(60% the original msrp) be reasonable?

I got a Grundig Satellit 500 at a rummage sale for forty dollars, though
that time I just picked a number to help the group.

I got my Grundig Satellit 700 at a Rotary Club garage sale, only 2.00
(they clearly didn't know what they had).

I got a Sony SW-1 (the tiny one) for ten dollars, but it needs adjusting.

I got a Grundig/Eton 300 (the pocket one with the analog tuning but LCD
readout) for 2.00 at a different garage sale the same day.

I got a Radio Shack SW-40 (I think that was the model) portable for 2.50
at a garage sale.

I got a TMC GPR-90 tube receiver for $20 at a garage sale three years ago.

I got a Panasonic RF-1600 multiband portable (but looking like a portable
stereo almost) for five dollars last month.

I've picked a few analog tuning portbles with a shortwave band or two in
the past decade, all for a few dollars each.

Though oddly I saw a Grundig Traveller at a garage sale last month (just
down from the one where I got the Panasonic) that had a "$25" price tag on
it. That was the older analog model.

I don't think so you'll get much for the radio. So few broadcasters left,
I'm assuming from being able to find these that people are dumping them
and not seeing demand. Nobody will pay nearly two hundred dollars for an
old analog portable just to tune in the popular broadcast stations, they
can get something new for less (and which will be easier to tune0.

The one possibility is that there's someone out there who actually
wants/needs that model for a collection. But even then I doubt they'd pay
that much money.

I am apparently collecting at this point, and I won't spend more than $20.

Michael

Old July 9th 15, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Makes sense, the reason I came up with that price was that I saw a couple of satellit 700s in almost new condition get sold for above the msrp on EBay. I think I will auction this radioand let the buyers decide what is a good price.