Old July 10th 15, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default CommRadio CR1a

Hello, I am interested in buying the new CommRadio CR1a. Does anyone know how it compares on the shortwave bands in comparison to the Palstar R30? I have heard rumors that its performance is equal to or better than that that of some very good radios.
Old July 10th 15, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 1:14:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hello, I am interested in buying the new CommRadio CR1a. Does anyone know how it compares on the shortwave bands in comparison to the Palstar R30? I have heard rumors that its performance is equal to or better than that that of some very good radios.

Can't compare it to the R30, but did compare it to my old Drake R-8 and newer Icom IC-7200. Lacks sync and PBT, but the bandwidths are decent and the audio is nice sounding especially with an external speaker. If I can hear it on the R-8 or IC-7200, I can hear it on the CR1a. It's my backup receiver and great in a power outage as the built in lithium battery can last up to 10 hours as the radio draws very little amperage. Nice small size, too for traveling. Can recharge it with my computers USB or one of the small powerpacks they sell for charging cell phones in remote areas.

Don Hosmer W8SWL
W Branch MI USA
Old July 10th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Have you had any issues with overloading
or images with the CR1a? That is my biggest peeve with the Tecsun PL-880 that I currently use.
Old July 11th 15, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 6:54:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Have you had any issues with overloading
or images with the CR1a? That is my biggest peeve with the Tecsun PL-880 that I currently use.

I have a Palstar R30CC. Very decent performance, a little heavy on battery consumption- 200mA/300mA with display backlight on . Impossible to overload and never experienced any images (it has 45MHz 1st IF). Good selectivity: I bought it new and requested for Collins filters. The current production R30A is listed $895...
Old July 11th 15, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 6:54:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Have you had any issues with overloading
or images with the CR1a? That is my biggest peeve with the Tecsun PL-880 that I currently use.

Never had an overload issue with my CR1A. I should mention the VHF/UHF bands are just so-so. Not as sensitive as compared to my ham radios in this range. But I use the radio mainly for HF SWLing.

Don