Old August 11th 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Japan NRD 525 static problems

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 19:53:45 UTC+1, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, 11 August 2015 00:34:55 UTC+1, BDK wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:30:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to

believe it
is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

Thanks for the suggestions, but something really quirky happened. The static has gone away, and how and why, I don't know. I agree with Simon about the sound quality of the NRD 525, the inboard speaker is not up to par with Japan Radio components. I have a mint condition Panasonic RF-4900 that has excellent sound via

inboard
speaker and even better with phones. But the basic problem with static on my NRD 525 has gone away, and that has me puzzled.

Could have just been an intermittent problem and it might come back. I
would still suggest reseating all the boards in it. The internal speaker
on the 525/535/545 receivers is basically for testing purposes only. A
good external, and NOT one of the JRC speakers (Overpriced box with a
junk speaker in it) is a huge improvement. I took out the junk speaker
and added a nice sounding one and added a switchable high cut filter. My
first 525 had a lot of hiss, but the one I have now, a near end of
production one, doesn't have any.

I have the NVA-88 speaker for the NRD 525, what speaker would you advise me to get to replace the one inside the box?

Wow, I did it too long ago, and the NVA-88 is gone now, so I would
suggest what I did back then. I went to the local car stereo places in
town and asked if they had any "junk" small speakers or one left out of
a pair, as some cars have, as mine does, 3 in the dash. I bought a left
over one from a pair for $10, and it sounded great.

Thanks - I think I will take the NVA-88 apart, measure the speaker dimensions and get one the same size.

Old August 12th 15, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

[...]

I think it's a 4", every one of them I've seen has the Mitsubishi
diamond logo stamped on it.

--
BDK: Head Government Shill, and future Psychotronic World Dominator.
Master of Remote Viewing. Level 5 expert in kOOkStudies.
Old August 12th 15, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:30:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

Thanks, I reseated the boards after giving them a good spray cleaning and found the hiss and static problems have gone-completely gone. Seems as if the sensitivity is more acute now. Anyway, it was a good idea, and thanks guys.
Old August 15th 15, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wednesday, 12 August 2015 19:40:52 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 3:30:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a Japan NRD 525 which I love and is fairly uncomplicated to use, but very recently I've had severe static problems. And I am wondering if something is wrong with my long wire antennas, or is it in the radio? I have another older radio that I hooked up to my antennas and find there is no static so I am led to believe it is in the radio. Any thoughts or suggestion on where I can go to find out the source of the static, as it is really bad.
John Parrott

Thanks, I reseated the boards after giving them a good spray cleaning and found the hiss and static problems have gone-completely gone. Seems as if the sensitivity is more acute now. Anyway, it was a good idea, and thanks guys.

Same here - I just removed the boards and sprayed all the sockets with Servisol and it's like a different RX. No hiss and S/N ratio is amazing!