Old May 8th 16, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default terrible conditions today

As of 2110 UTC K index is 5
A index is 63

May 8 2016

Jim MI
Old May 9th 16, 03:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:46:21 AM UTC+12, RF Collins wrote:
As of 2110 UTC K index is 5
A index is 63

May 8 2016

Jim MI

Hi,

Because I have no idea but routinely listen to HF aeronautical worldwide, what constitutes a good K index and a good A index if 5 and 63 are terrible?

Also, is this regional or worldwide?

An finally, where can I find K and A indexes so that I can monitor them daily?

I appreciate all or any responses as I broaden my knowledge from those that know better!

Cheers,
Michael
hfaero.com
Old May 10th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote in news:OvOdnUuYrMN73q_KnZ2dnUU7-
:

My favorite web site:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Has the planetary K index chart for the last 3 days. The A index is a
linearized average of the K index for the last 24 hours. So if all you see
are red bars, the band will probably be in bad shape.

Has the X ray flux so you can see if there have been any solar flares in
the last 3 days and how strong they were. This is where the SFI number
comes from.

There is always the solar terrestrial data at: www.qrz.com.

This is good for a quick summary of conditions but is not always up to
date.

Old May 10th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 4:26:16 PM UTC-4, RF Collins wrote:
wrote in
:

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:46:21 AM UTC+12, RF Collins wrote:
As of 2110 UTC K index is 5
A index is 63

May 8 2016

Jim MI

Hi,

Because I have no idea but routinely listen to HF aeronautical
worldwide, what constitutes a good K index and a good A index if 5 and
63 are terrible?

Also, is this regional or worldwide?

An finally, where can I find K and A indexes so that I can monitor
them daily?

I appreciate all or any responses as I broaden my knowledge from those
that know better!

Cheers,
Michael

In general:

K - index:
0 very quiet
1 and 2 are ok
3 is unsettled
4 and 5 can be a minor to moderate storm
6 and 7 moderate to major storm
8 and 9(top of scale) severe storm

Also, when a geo - magnetic storm begins, there can be some enhancement
of N-S signals and deterioration of E-W signals. After a couple of days
of magnetic storms there is electron loss to the ionosphere resulting in
overall signal deterioration. (High A index).

Also, the geo-magnetic storm is caused by particles streaming off the
sun. Due to the manetic field of the earth, the particles enter at the
poles. The result is that the effects are greater near the poles than
they are at the equator.

Yes - terrible and wacky it is indeed! R.Havana is barely audible (???). But some far away signals somehow get through, such as KSA at 500KW ... Propagation is very freaky last few days (weeks?).
Old May 14th 16, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RF Collins wrote:

As of 2110 UTC K index is 5
A index is 63

May 8 2016

Jim MI

Yeah, we've had some bad conditions as of late. I keep waiting for
Guinea to make another appearance after an apparent test a few weeks
back. Need that QSL (verie, for those in Glendale)!