Old February 13th 17, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Urgent Message: Need Advice

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 8:40:07 PM UTC-6, George Cornelius wrote:

There's still an Old Style?

Had a good friend - a retired MD - who lost his shirt on
Heilemann's (which was less than 100 miles from here and
presumably long since swallowed up by someone else). Seems
my friend had family ties of sorts. His contact - let's call
him a brother-in-law - was company treasurer and painted a
rosy picture of the company's future for a number of years.

I guess when everything goes sour, and it's not the mash, one
is morally and legally bound refrain from calling up the
brother-in-law and suggesting he might want to bail.

So now if you want to buy something locally brewed (other
than from Minneapolis/St.Paul where they still brew Pig's
Eye Pilsner) you buy something from the August Schell Brewery
in New Ulm, Minnesota. Plus you can still buy kegs of their
1919 Root Beer, the ostensible reason for the brewerey
remaining open during Prohibition.

There's also Liney's - but Chippewa Falls is quite a ways
from here. My MD friend always had Lineys around.

Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus, er, I mean an Old Style beer. Seehttp://oldstylebeer.com/

As of 2016, the former Heileman's flagship brewery in La Crosse is owned and operated by the City Brewing Company. The brewery chose to use the name that the former Heileman's used as its startup name in 1858-1872. City Brewing brews beer and packages bottled tea, soft drinks, and energy drinks.

It's probably a regional beer now. They used to advertise a lot on the Chicago Cubs radio broadcast. I am 11 blocks from the liquor store that carries it here in South Dakota.

Grain Belt beer http://grainbelt.com/ is not bad either. That is brewed just up yonder in Minnesota.
Old February 13th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , writes:
It's probably a regional beer now. They used to advertise a lot on the Chic=
ago Cubs radio broadcast. I am 11 blocks from the liquor store that carries
it here in South Dakota.

Grain Belt beer
http://grainbelt.com/ is not bad either. That is brewed
just up yonder in Minnesota.

Grain Belt has been owned by various players, including Heileman's. A
quick glance at the Wikipedia page, though, indicates that it is now an
August Schell brand.

From a Wikipedia article concerning the history of St. Paul's Jacob
Schmidt, another regional brewery, we get a picture of Heileman's
rise and fall, with Grain Belt and others going along for the ride:

"As with prior owner Pfeiffer Heileman purchased smaller struggling
breweries with regional bases, and again Schmidt's brewery was one of
many in a vast beer empire, the brewery though ran at near capacity while it
[per]severed under Heileman and rivaled the La Crosse brewery, in efficiency.
Along with its own brand the Brewery brewed Heileman's flagship brand Old
Style, as well as Blatz, Grain Belt and Hauenstein. By 1981 Heileman was
the 4th largest Brewing Company in the country. Still without a nationally
recognized brand it was vulnerable to competition, in 1987 the company was
bought out by corporate raider Alan Bond who had built his empire on junk
bonds and when they crashed lost everything causing Heileman to be a
[casuality] of the largest financial collapse in Australian history and by
1990 brewing on the (Schmidt Brewery) site would cease for the first time
since in 1855."

That site was actually revived for brewing Pig's Eye for a time, but is
now being converted to lofts as part of a larger housing project on
St. Paul's Seventh Street.

George
Old February 13th 17, 06:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ah Schmidt beer! http://www.schmidtbeer.com/ At my request my dad bought me a six pack of Schmidt Big Mouths on my 15th birthday with the proviso I drink it at home. I did and thought I was all grown up. Oh the memories. I'd give anything to go back in time, it was a much simpler and happy time.
Old February 13th 17, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:53:50 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Ah Schmidt beer! http://www.schmidtbeer.com/ At my request my dad bought me a six pack of Schmidt Big Mouths on my 15th birthday with the proviso I drink it at home. I did and thought I was all grown up. Oh the memories. I'd give anything to go back in time, it was a much simpler and happy time.

"Schmidt. The beer that grew with the great Northwest!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EO3-Jpu7is

Old February 13th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 12:58:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
"Schmidt. The beer that grew with the great Northwest!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EO3-Jpu7is

Correction. "The BREW that grew with the great Northwest!"

Old February 13th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:09:40 AM UTC-6,
DhiaDuit wrote:

I have a box of Honey Maid, Vanilla Natural Flavor With
Other Natural Flavor, crackers. It doesn't say on the box
where the crackers are made. Distributed by Mondelez
Global LLC. East Hanover, New Jersey.
www.honeymaid.com

Look at the expiration date on the package. The 2 letter
code after the year will tell you where they are made. MM=
Monterrey, Mexico. MS= Salinas, Mexico.

I checked the box of Ritz in my kitchen, and its code = AZ
(Azerbajan?).

And when I was in the grocery store this morning (they had
Ritz and Oreos on sale...no, I didn't buy any), so I checked
the codes on those packages. Ritz was a mix of AZ and MS,
the Oreos I checked were AZ.

The Ritz box with the MS code *did* have "Made in Mexico"
listed on the side panel.

I've warned one of my neighbors what to be on the lookout
for (she had a box of Nabisco saltines, but those were AZ
coded) and will spread the word.

I'll mention it on the Liberty Net next week as well.

Nyssa, who also had a nice chat with the Frito-Lays guy
about stocking some more varieties of low salt chips

Old February 13th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DhiaDuit wrote:

[...]

Oroville Dam updates, if you want to check it out? jimstone.is
Old February 13th 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

DhiaDuit wrote:

[...]

Nabisco and Oreos(Mondelez)are produced in 18(!)different countries. This includes PRC ...
Old February 14th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hydrox: America's cookie is back. Made in the USA, higher quality ingredients and $1 less a package. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...delez/8896377/

URGENT: DhiaDuit Shortwave 0 October 29th 16 03:56 AM
[VARC] URGENT MESSAGE RE THIS SATURDAY (TOMORROW!) VARC via rec.radio.info Admin Info 0 April 2nd 16 01:35 AM
Message Alert - You Have 1 Important Unread Message! Kelly R Shortwave 0 June 21st 09 06:20 AM
looking for service manual for 747 urgent Andrew VK3BFA General 0 August 31st 06 09:36 AM
Urgent-ish favour required Richard Homebrew 8 January 27th 04 02:11 PM