Old February 25th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WWV will be OFF the AIR .

On 2/25/2017 5:37 AM, John Kasupski wrote:

I can remember when someone could post a radio-related question here and receive
a useful answer in a reasonably short time from one or more of the many people
here who were actually knowledgeable about shortwave radio.

The OP DID get several "useful answers". IIRC, I responded to the OP two
different times that if he could not hear WWV, he should try CHU in
Canada, I even posted CHU's URL for his convenience. But for some reason
he seems stuck on WWV -- even though he claims he can't hear it. Go
figure...

73, Joe

Old February 25th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote: "I responded to the OP two different times that if he could not hear WWV, he should try
CHU in Canada, I even posted CHU's URL for his convenience. But for some reason he seems stuck on WWV --
even though he claims he can't hear it. Go figure...

73, Joe "

Well let me ask you this: I, too, would rather use
'domestic' shortwave time service, but perhaps I'm
not understanding CHU? Does CHU broadcast from
an atomic clock in Canada - or are they just a
repeater for the WWVs?
Old February 25th 17, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Kasupski wrote:

I can remember when someone could post a radio-related question here and receive
a useful answer in a reasonably short time from one or more of the many people
here who were actually knowledgeable about shortwave radio.

I can remember a time when a poster (this poster, in fact) asked this
question and got answer. Polite, civil answers. This is the third
go-round.

Now, sadlly, there is instead a bunch of nitwits who seem to think someone may
have somehow gotten hold of five cruise missiles and plans to launch one at each
antenna site for the five WWV transmitters (one for each frequency) using the
coordinates given in the newsgroup as targeting data. Pathetic!

Amazing, isn't it? There REALLY isn't any reason to keep trying to
getgetting the same easy answers from the newsgroup, unless someone is
trolling.

Next time the "I can't hear WWV!" question pops up I'll enjoy your
patient explaination.

Old February 25th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

analogdial wrote: "John Kasupski wrote:

Now, sadlly, there is instead a bunch of nitwits who seem to think someone may
have somehow gotten hold of five cruise missiles and plans to launch one at each
antenna site for the five WWV transmitters (one for each frequency) using the
coordinates given in the newsgroup as targeting data. Pathetic!

Amazing, isn't it? There REALLY isn't any reason to keep trying to
getgetting the same easy answers from the newsgroup, unless someone is
trolling. "

analog: John was referring to YOU and YOUR
diatribes about me being a "terrorist" who wants
to destroy the WWV transmitters!

DUH...
Old February 25th 17, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

analogdial wrote:
"Isn't it OBVIOUS? The FEDS are well aware of your UN-AMERICAN attempts
to obtain the ABOVE TOP SECRET details and locations of America's ATOMIC
TIME PROGRAM. You have GOOGLESOURCED the entire internet and, of
course, come up with ZILCH. Not even CNN or the NEW YORK TIMES would
dare divulge the SECURE location of America's ATOMIC TIME TRANSMITTERS.

By now, I'm sure you're aware that the US Government has SELECTIVELY
BLOCKED your reception of ATOM TIME. I urge you to turn yourself in to
the FEDERAL DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND ATOMIC TIME SECURITY immediately.
There is nowhere or nowhen to hide. "

Sure looks like it came from YOU - in response
to my wanting to know the locations of WWV/B/H
transmitters!

You have proven yourself, in this thread to be both
a Bushie and a Trumpet. Undeniable!
Old February 25th 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017, John Kasupski wrote:

I can remember when someone could post a radio-related question here and receive
a useful answer in a reasonably short time from one or more of the many people
here who were actually knowledgeable about shortwave radio.

Now, sadlly, there is instead a bunch of nitwits who seem to think someone may
have somehow gotten hold of five cruise missiles and plans to launch one at each
antenna site for the five WWV transmitters (one for each frequency) using the
coordinates given in the newsgroup as targeting data. Pathetic!

WWV antenna coordinates (WGS84):

2.5 MHz - 40°40'55.0 N, 105°02'33.6 W
5 MHz - 40°40'41.9 N, 105°02'27.2 W
10 MHz - 40°40'47.7 N, 105°02'27.4 W
15 MHz - 40°40'44.8 N, 105°02'26.9 W
20 MHz - 40°40'52.8 N, 105°02'30.9 W

This information appears in NIST Special Publication 250-67, which was released
in 2005 and has complete info on WWV as well as on WWVH and WWVB - including
site maps and photographs. It can be freely downloaded in Portable Document
Format (PDF) from the following URL:

http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/1969.pdf

My apologies to the OP for not posting this sooner. I honestly thought somebody
else would have finally gotten around to doing so by now, but apparently there's
an unfortunate lack of well-versed real radio hobbyists around here these days.

But 25MHz is back, a few years ago someone did some figuring and decided
it could be done without any real cost increase, and they resurrected it
as a test, and then kept on going.

Michael
Old February 28th 17, 08:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 14:42:54 -0000 (UTC), analogdial

analog: John was referring to YOU and YOUR
diatribes about me being a "terrorist" who wants
to destroy the WWV transmitters!

DUH...

No, John was referring to no one. He insincerely made up the fake claim
about the cruise missies and targeting information.

Not really. I indeed WAS referring to your post - and if the availability of the
hardware wasn't an issue, cruis missiles would be the easiest way to do it since
they are in the military inventories of numerous countries and, being equipped
with their own guidance systems, are pretty much fire-and-forget. Fortunately,
however, you can't simply walk into Home Depot and buy half a dozen cruise
missiles with the necessary means of launching them. That makes the idea of them
being used in a terrorist attack decidedly far-fetched - but what are the odds
of a terrorist, or a group of terrorists, deciding to take out WWV anyway? If
nobody calls in sick on any given day, there's going to be maybe half a dozen
employees there. The way terrorists think, that's way too much effort for far
too little results. Better to do a shopping mall the Saturday before Christmas.

But just for the sake of argument, let's suppose for the moment that for some
reason some "lone wolf" nutcase actually wanted to do it.

Modern field artillery systems could handle the job too, but again, they don't
sell mortars, cannons, and rockets at Wal-Mart, and even if you went down to San
Pedro, California where the USS Iowa is on display as a museum ship and somehow
gained control of the entire vessel, a target somewhere in Colorado would be
more than a little outside the 20.55 nautical mile range of her 16-inch guns.

An aircraft could also be used to attack the site where WWV/WWVB are located,
but that is subject to its own set of obstacles. You won't find bombers, fighter
planes, and the ordnance to arm such aircraft at a local Sam's Club. Uncle Sam
has that stuff, but it's guarded by armed soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines,
and civilian airports have lots of security in place these days too. The odds of
a "lone wolf" conducting such an attack from the air therefore seems pretty
slim, although I suppose it would provide some interesting listening for anyone
within range with a receiver capable of monitoring AICC and guard... grin

Anyway, that basically leaves us with someone physically showing up at the site,
defeating the security measures there, and destroying the transmitters with
explosives or by other means, That may or may not be possible to pull off - but
the attacker(s) wouldn't need the GPS coordinates of the antennas to do it.

Therefore, implying that someone wants to obtain those coordinates for nefarious
purposes is, as I said upthread, pathetic - and also typifies the very kind of
paranoid fear REAL terrorists WANT you to feel. (Why do you think they're called
"terror-ists" to begin with?)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY