Old February 25th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WWV will be OFF the AIR .

On 2/25/2017 5:37 AM, John Kasupski wrote:

I can remember when someone could post a radio-related question here and receive
a useful answer in a reasonably short time from one or more of the many people
here who were actually knowledgeable about shortwave radio.

The OP DID get several "useful answers". IIRC, I responded to the OP two
different times that if he could not hear WWV, he should try CHU in
Canada, I even posted CHU's URL for his convenience. But for some reason
he seems stuck on WWV -- even though he claims he can't hear it. Go
figure...

73, Joe

Old February 25th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe from Kokomo wrote: "I responded to the OP two different times that if he could not hear WWV, he should try
CHU in Canada, I even posted CHU's URL for his convenience. But for some reason he seems stuck on WWV --
even though he claims he can't hear it. Go figure...

73, Joe "

Well let me ask you this: I, too, would rather use
'domestic' shortwave time service, but perhaps I'm
not understanding CHU? Does CHU broadcast from
an atomic clock in Canada - or are they just a
repeater for the WWVs?
Old February 28th 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 06:03:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Joe from Kokomo wrote: "I responded to the OP two different times that if he could not hear WWV, he should try
CHU in Canada, I even posted CHU's URL for his convenience. But for some reason he seems stuck on WWV --
even though he claims he can't hear it. Go figure...

73, Joe "

Well let me ask you this: I, too, would rather use
'domestic' shortwave time service, but perhaps I'm
not understanding CHU? Does CHU broadcast from
an atomic clock in Canada - or are they just a
repeater for the WWVs?

It's the Canadian government's own time station, operated by the Institute for
National Measurement Standards of the National Research Council of Canada, which
has its own atomic clock.

FWIW, it also has a feature WWV/WWVH/WWVB do not - CHU sends a data signal at
seconds 31 to 39 which allows any computer with a Bell 103 compatible 300 baud
modem to receive/decode an accurate time source.

(If the Bell 103 standard sounds familiar to anyone here, that might be because
it's also the standard we hams use for packet radio on HF - so if your station
is already set up for that, you now know something else you can do with it)

The station is located at 45° 17' 47" N, 75° 45' 22" W, which is near Barrhaven,
Ontario, a short distance from Ottawa. They transmit with 3 kW on 3.330 MHz and
14.670 MHz, and 10 kW on 7.850 MHz. Any sources you see that say CHU operates on
7.335 MHz are obsolete - they moved from there to 7.850 MHz at 0000 UTC on
January 1, 2009 to escape interference from broadcast stations.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old February 28th 17, 12:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Kasupski:

So the only way to ensure both CHU and the
WWVs are in sync is to have two SW radios -
one playing WWV and the other, CHU. Got
plenty of boomboxes with SW bands for that.

Until lately I've been using CHU as a 'backup'
of sorts on days(and weeks) where I could not
pick up WWV.

Old February 28th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

As always, you're full of ****. Dumb ****.

Old February 28th 17, 02:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

None wrote:

thekma @ dumb****.shorotbus.edu wrote in message
John Kasupski:

So the only way to ensure both CHU and the
WWVs are in sync is to have two SW radios -
one playing WWV and the other, CHU.

As always, you're full of ****. Dumb ****.

That's the kind of incisive analysis this froup needs. Much better than
your trollmates. Carry on!

Old February 28th 17, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

analogdial wrote: "That's the kind of incisive analysis this froup needs. Much better than
your trollmates. Carry on! "

Sounds like YOU are the troll in this
thread, you and the machine you
just replied to!
Old February 28th 17, 12:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

By the way this morning I get in ZERO time
signals, from Canada, Colorado, or elsewhere.
MASSIVE buzzing interference on all frequencies
from CHU and WWV. I must live in the EMI
center of the UNIVERSE!