Old March 4th 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Internet radio's that record?

Somebody any brands that will allow recording internet radio on USB?

There was DNT, or what was it called, also Sangean sometimes ...

Old March 5th 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , marc writes:

Somebody any brands that will allow recording internet radio on USB?

Is that Upper Sideband, or Universal Serial Bus?

Obviously you can record to ordinary audio recording equipment
anything that you can get out an audio port, and can use any
USB device that converts to something your recording equipment
can accept.

But the best solutions would involve recording it directly to
storage on the same computer that is receiving the broadcasts.
Doesn't sound like something that would be left out of the
receiving software.

Does Media Player receive internet radio? Good chance it can
record it, if so.

On Linux there's something - JAX or Jacks, maybe? - I know very
little about it, but it appears to allow patching from location
A to location B within your system. Audacity is a general
purpose recording and audio processing system. Between the
two of them you may be able to tie in to an internet radio
source.

There was DNT, or what was it called, also Sangean sometimes ...

Sounds like you need to give us more details so we can better
respond.

George
Old March 12th 17, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , marc writes:

Somebody any brands that will allow recording internet radio on USB?

There was DNT, or what was it called, also Sangean sometimes ...

Since you did not respond to my comment that computer based
internet radio software can probably record as well, I'll
relate an experiment I am doing.

I connected to a site I know about (auralmoon.com) via another
usenet poster who volunteers some engineering services to them.
It's billed as progressive rock but sounds pleasant enough.
I'm afraid younger listeners might even consider it elevator
music, but I like it.

When I selected the highest free streaming speed (56kb mp3), it came
up with a URL (http://auralmoon.com/playlinks/auralmoon56kmp3.pls)
which I am guessing is a playlist file, and popped up a window for
options of how to open it on my Windows 7 box. It includes Windows
Media Center, I believe (didn't know I had that), but I tried VLC,
a video player I use in other contexts.

It just came up and started playing the audio stream
[I noticed that the .pls file actually got saved on my hard
drive in a temp directory, so VLC may be running now from
a locally saved playlist].

I then looked around for ways to record. Under VLC's "audio"
menu I found a red record button and was able to press it,
but as far as I can tell it did nothing. That is, it
never offered to open an output file at that time, and when
I shut down and tried to exit, it never offered to save
anything it might have recorded.

There are plugins for VLC but I did not try to download any.

And the Volume Mixer (right mouse option on the speaker icon
in the taskbar) doesn't seem to do anything but vary the
volume from the various sources (including this stream) out
to the speakers.

Playback is high quality, though. It's just that VLC
under Windows 7 maybe don't have a way to route sound
in realtime to a file.

I'll look at other players, though, and update you. I
suspect Real Media/Real Player would be a good choice,
but do not believe I have it installed.

George
Old March 13th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wrote:
In article , marc writes:

[...]

With regard to my commitment to further investigate
recording internet radio, I should mention that VLC
with an external USB or non-USB audio recorder may
just solve your problem outright.

Here's what further investigation found, though:

Windows Media Center (only installed on a system
supplied by my employer) will not open the .pls file.
It states that access is "denied by policy". Perhaps
my employer does not want me listening to internet
streams, and they certainly do not want me illegally
recording them.

Real Player is listed as being able to play all
sorts of streaming formats - quite reasonable since
that was one of their original claims to fame.
In particular the can handle various playlist
formats including .pls, according to their
Wikipedia entry. I'm not going to download it
though, because I don't have an anything near
up-to-date Windows system at home.

There's always the possibility it can record.

Note that Linux has so many audio options it is
just about impossible for me to sort through to
find which have recording features. But there are
distributions that focus on multimedia and might
already have what you need installed and ready to
use.

If you do a search for "browser extensions
to record streaming audio" you'll find various
options. One of the first I ran into when
I searched for Firefox extensions was called
"Media Stealer", which, after all, is what
the original question is likely about.

At https://swen.antville.org/stories/735413/
I found this concerning VLC:

"Videolan is one of the best media player around.
It also has a feature to record a streamed file
as a mp3 file." So maybe I just did not work at it
hard enough when I tried it. Elsewhere on the
page is a recommendation for the free Audacity
product I mentioned earlier.

In general, though, it is likely the reason recording
options are somewhat difficult to find, or even
nonexistent, in the high profile media players is
that the developers do not want to be accused of
aiding and abetting with regard to copyright
violations.

George
Old March 17th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

ccrane.com Internet radio that records