Old May 19th 18, 01:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default SWL Antenna question (HF aero comms listening)

Hello!

I have the AirSpyHF+ SDR and I am writting to you to ask what's the best way to get better performance with this radio in HF frequencies (~3Mhz - 15Mhz) in USB mode. My intentions is to listen as best as possible the HF aero transatlantic flights over the atlantic/pacific that most of the time come with very very weak signals...
I live in a rural area and can erect big antennas. I have a 12m spiderbeam pole.

Hope you can help me!

Thank you!
Old May 19th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 19 May 2018 05:45:55 -0700, Jo+AOM-o Fonseca wrote:

+AD4 Hello+ACE
+AD4
+AD4 I have the AirSpyHF+- SDR and I am writting to you to ask what's the best way to get better performance with this radio in HF frequencies (+AH4-3Mhz - 15Mhz) in USB mode. My intentions is to listen as best as possible the HF aero transatlantic flights over the atlantic/pacific that most of the time come with very very weak signals...
+AD4 I live in a rural area and can erect big antennas. I have a 12m spiderbeam pole.
+AD4
+AD4
+AD4 Hope you can help me+ACE
+AD4
+AD4 Thank you+ACE

I'm envious+ACE I wish I could put up some real outdoor antennas. If so, I'd look into antenna modeling software. This seems like a good place to start:

http://www.w5ddl.org/files/ComputerModelingSimple6.pdf

I'd LOVE to try to aim a lobe in pre-planned direction+ACE-
Old May 20th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-4, João Fonseca wrote:
Hello!

I have the AirSpyHF+ SDR and I am writting to you to ask what's the best way to get better performance with this radio in HF frequencies (~3Mhz - 15Mhz) in USB mode. My intentions is to listen as best as possible the HF aero transatlantic flights over the atlantic/pacific that most of the time come with very very weak signals...
I live in a rural area and can erect big antennas. I have a 12m spiderbeam pole.

Hope you can help me!

Thank you!

Great to have large tracts of land for antennas ! However int last few years there is very little traffic carried on the official HF aeronautical channels.The primary frequency for N.Atlantic is 8848KHz,secondary is 8825KHz...but they must have switched to some other means like satellites lately.
Old May 21st 18, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 20 May 2018 11:01:06 -0700, aspozner wrote:

+AD4 On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:45:58 AM UTC-4, Jo+AOM-o Fonseca wrote:
+AD4APg Hello+ACE
+AD4APg
+AD4APg I have the AirSpyHF+- SDR and I am writting to you to ask what's the best way to get better performance with this radio in HF frequencies (+AH4-3Mhz - 15Mhz) in USB mode. My intentions is to listen as best as possible the HF aero transatlantic flights over the atlantic/pacific that most of the time come with very very weak signals...
+AD4APg I live in a rural area and can erect big antennas. I have a 12m spiderbeam pole.
+AD4APg
+AD4APg
+AD4APg Hope you can help me+ACE
+AD4APg
+AD4APg Thank you+ACE
+AD4
+AD4 Great to have large tracts of land for antennas +ACE However int last few years there is very little traffic carried on the official HF aeronautical channels.The primary frequency for N.Atlantic is 8848KHz,secondary is 8825KHz...but they must have switched to some other means like satellites lately.

Is aviation weather getting more and more screwed up? I don't tune in very often but I've heard things like +ACI-Atlanta .... missing+ACI +ACI-Bermuda ... missing+ACI with disturbing frequency. For a hot second I feared I might be listening in on the actualization of an un-false prophesy from Brother Stair, but it quickly became apparent that this was just some dumb glitch that it was nobody's high priority to get fixed.