Old June 29th 03, 02:18 AM
Robert

"donut" wrote

The 2 best ways to deal with SPAMMERS, flooders, and trolls a filter,
and, most importantly - don't reply to them or talk about them. When you

do
so, you are supplying them with the jollies they seek.

Absolutely correct 99% of the time - in this _particular_ instance,
this might be an attempt at a sort of denial of service attack; at least,
this is the allegation over on alt.privacy.anon-server ; our flooder is
attempting to get as many as people as possible to complain about a handful
of remailers by using them to be disruptive. If enough people complain, this
can at least disrupt the operator's incoming e-mail, and possibly get it
shut down (no big loss as far as I'm concerned, and I'll cheerfully killfile
the replies to this posting that screech about "free" speech in that
regard).
The cross-posting I've seen before I kill-filed most of this was
decidely uncreative in starting a good cross-group flame war and complaint
flood, though, so I'm not certain what exactly is going on. (The plonk-fest
was a good one, though! )
Usenet - it's kinda like driving by a road accident - you can't help
but slow down and look.

---

---

Old June 30th 03, 10:58 PM
Wellsboro Winery

Default Any ideas on how to save this NG?

What free nntp news servers are you using to read rec.radio.shortwave?
Old July 1st 03, 07:56 PM
donut

"Robert" wrote in :

our flooder is
attempting to get as many as people as possible to complain about a
handful of remailers by using them to be disruptive.

Complaining to remailers is a complete waste of time. They universally cop
out by denying any responsibility.

Filter, filter, filter.....

These people always eventually give up when people simply ignore them.
Old July 1st 03, 08:23 PM
AMHAM73

Rest Easy -- The News Group has been saved

Reason -- amongst all the junk are some real pearls of wisdom and that makes
the rest very trivial.

Keep the faith and post responsibly

Old July 7th 03, 06:28 AM
Maximo Lachman

Moderation no longer means no instantaneity thanks to Robomod:
http://www.gweep.ca/~robomod/soc.politics/
As successfuly tested on soc.politics: it posts most messages
w/in seconds. See for yourself. Human intervention is limited
usually to posts in the grey-area.

saki ) writes:
Dan's point about immediacy is well taken. This group tends to benefit
especially from round-the-clock updates. I co-moderate a rec.musc*
newsgroup; we have a committee of four people to do it and we still get
complaints from folks when there's any kind of a delay (which usually
results when we're asleep!).

Still the process for establishing a moderated newsgroup in the rec*
newsgroup hierarchy isn't an easy one and the task of moderating is not
something that one looks forward to doing.

If it's really an option that folks want to pursue, I'd recommend
creating a moderated shortwave group, one to co-exist with the
unmoderated version. That way both persuasions can have what they want.

It also makes sense to encourage those who are more or less lurkers (like
me) or former r.r.s. folks to post more SWL material. I've learned a lot
by reading what you folks have to say, and the resources here are quite
helpful. I wish some of the folks who were here as recently as six months
ago would come out of the woodwork too, but I certainly understand why
they might not.

It might be better to revive the rec.swl group, perhaps as
rec.radio.shortwave.swl and change the current group to
rec.radio.shortwave.tech also moderated.

Old July 18th 03, 07:03 AM
RHF

DoNut,

I Agree.

1. Everyone - [INDIVIDUAL ACTION]
- - - Post "MORE" Shortwave Radio related subjects.

2. Everyone - [SELF CONTROL]
- - - Ignore the 'Off Topic' Posts.

3. Everyone - [GROUP FOLLOW-UP]
- - - Report the MEGA Flooders and Spammers to their ISPs and Google.

4. Everyone - Starts With YOU !

* Five NewsGroup Members Can Make a Difference !
- Will You Be One of the Five ?

* * Fifteen NewsGroup Members Can Set the Standard ! !
- - Will You Be One of the Fifteen ?

* * * Fifty NewsGroup Members Can Be In Control !
- - - Will You Be One of the Fifty ?

~ RHF
..
..
= = = donut
= = = wrote in message ...
(Diverd4777) wrote in
:

1: Posting more SWR Subjects.

Another NG I frequent is trying this. You get a flood of only mildly
interesting posts that become as annoying as the SPAM itself. Then you're
left with twice as much to filter out.

Old July 18th 03, 04:14 PM
Burr

You hit the nail on the head. Just don't open anything you don't want to
read.

Burr (little OT spammer)

Old DXer wrote:
The News Group is here by SAVED.

For years now this refrain has occurred and reoccurred, but the old NG just
chugs along, despite the OT's, Spam, Junk, Bum Dope, Guesses, Get rich qwik
schemes, commercials, et al

But there is some really good stuff here too!

Its free and unmoderated so the abusers abuse and the spammers spam and the
rest of us discuss our mutual interests.

Idea ---- "Don't worry about it"

Old July 18th 03, 08:36 PM
Lee Marcus

I have one suggestion. There is another newsgroup that I signed up to
yesterday. It's a brand new group with a really good interface but not
very many users on it yet. Why don't we get rid of the spam and junk
on this group and go infest the other one. I know that it is very hard
changing a group but to get rid of all the trash here it's well worth
it... just my opinion. Go to www.radiolabs.com/board . I signed up
yesterday and it's much much better than this. However my opinion may
be bad because I am still using Google to view the groups. I just
checked out the site and there are only 9 registered members but why
not make it 1000 members?

According to the site, the forum opened up only 3 days ago. We can
even cross post here. Needs some activity though! I emailed them to
add another forum and it went up immediately. They added the shortwave
group and *poof* it appeared.

Ciao!

Lee
Old July 18th 03, 09:48 PM
Frank Dresser

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
File -- Save As

-Barry

Sure, that will save the displayed message, but he was looking for ideas on
saving the whole newsgroup.

I found this in the Outlook Express help file:

"Reading newsgroup messages offline

Offline news reading enables you to read newsgroup messages without being
connected to the Internet, which saves connection costs. To do this you must
subscribe to the newsgroup whose messages you want to read offline, mark it
to specify whether you want to see headers or whole messages, and then
transfer the messages to your computer (synchronize). Once this is done, you
can log off from the Internet and then read the messages at your leisure.

You can choose to read message headers only, which tell you the subject,
author, and size of the message. Or you can select complete messages,
including attached files. Synchronizing to read only the message headers in
a newsgroup is much faster than synchronizing to read the messages, and it
can still give you an idea of the current discussions. While you are
offline, you can mark the headers that look interesting and then download
only those messages when you reconnect."

Saves the newsgroup and connection costs. I expect other newsreaders can do
the same thing.

Frank Dresser

Old July 18th 03, 10:14 PM

- Invitation -

Hello all,

A user on this group, Lee, wrote me an email and inquired if we were
capable of handling heavy traffic for a newsgroup. For the past 3
months we have been working on a active forum with realtime results,
stats, polling, voting, html linking, picture, avatar and upload
capability, etc. If you are tired of the regular newsgroup spam and
off-topic posts, I would like to invite everyone on this newgroup to
join our online forum. We are self moderated (but we may need some
help in the future) and have simple forum rules.... (no spam
basically) Feel free to join our group, make comments, etc. This forum
has been tested for over a month now and does not have any flaws that
we can find. Near future plans are also for ftp file transfer and
sharing of radio related material. If anyone wants to register, please
visit:

http://www.radiolabs.com/board/index.php?

If anyone has suggestions on how to make it better, please let me
know. Now that this forum is up, please treat it as your own and enjoy
it.

Todd -