Old July 6th 03, 05:59 PM
Martin

Default 46.610 on Icom R75

Uncle Jizzie wrote:

Why is it that I can enter a popular cordess phone frequency (46.610 FM)
into my R75, yet hear nothing but static? I've done this while at the same
time monitoring this frequency with a hand-held scanner, and the scanner
picks up traffic quite easily. I don't get it!
UJ in AR

Maybe either the R75 or the antenna is deaf as a post at 46.610 ?
Old July 9th 03, 01:27 AM
Robert F Wieland

In article 3f06fe07_2@newsfeed,
Uncle Jizzie wrote:
Why is it that I can enter a popular cordess phone frequency (46.610 FM)
into my R75, yet hear nothing but static? I've done this while at the
same time monitoring this frequency with a hand-held scanner, and the
scanner picks up traffic quite easily. I don't get it!
UJ in AR

What antenna do you have on the R75? I have tried listening, and found
that a many-yards-long random wire is just not the right thing at these
low-VHF frequencies.

See if you can borrow a CB antenna from somewhere, connect that to the
R75's coax antenna connector, and see it that isn't better. Or whip up a
10-foot-long folded dipole, with the feedline length an odd multiple of 5
feet. Try habging this vertically.
--

R F Wieland Newark, DE 19711-5323 USA 39.68N 75.74W
Icom R75 Heathkit GR-81 Inverted-L in the attic

Old July 11th 03, 09:03 PM
Robert F Wieland

In article nk.net,
Jim Hackett wrote:
Did you put the R75 in FM mode?

Yup. I'm right down the street from one of the University's dorm
complexes, when things are right, the air around here is positively "full"
of portable phone signals.

Old July 12th 03, 01:59 AM
Uncle Jizzie

Thanks to everyone who advised me on this matter. Turns out that Robert F
Wieland had the solution - try another antenna! Can't believe I didn't think
of that myself.
Anyhow, its nice to know that there are still some helpful folks out there.
Heck, even my old arch-nemisis MW Bryant can be helpful every now and then,
at least when he can restrain his natural tendencies to stray off onto
topical subjects that he obviously knows nothing about. Overall, my faith in
this NG has been renewed.
UJ in beautiful eastern Arkansas, 'bout an hour or so from Graceland.