Old July 12th 03, 04:30 AM
David Chilvers

Default End Fed wires

I`m playing around with wire antennas at present and amazed that a 60ft wire
from a tree to my house, run down the back of the house and connected to a
balun as it goes through the wall in coax seems to be ahead of my G5RV(full
length) and a home made 40Mtr wire dipole for SWL. My question is! The tree
is at the bottom of the garden(almost central) if I connect another length
of wire to the end at the tree and bring it back to the other side of the
house it would be in a `V` formation(horizontal) rather than a straight line
and about 150ft total length, do you think it would be much of an
improvement over the straight 60ft or would I start to run into any problems
like overload etc? I use table top receivers that have att`s etc.

Why wouldn`t a 102ft G5RV work better than the 60ft straight I wonder, they
both face roughly the same direction and are both to the rear of the house
facing fields????? The G5RV is about the same height as the 60ft wire (22ft)

Thanks for any advice

Dave C

Old July 12th 03, 04:43 AM
Brian Denley

Dave:
What frequencies are you evaluating the antennas at? The G5RV and the
dipole will/may be optimized for different frequancies than your random
wire. Also, don't be surprised at the performance of a random wire for
general HF listening. There is a reason they are so popular.

--
Brian Denley

Old July 12th 03, 12:22 PM
The Axelrods

I use a 135 foot U shaped wire here and it works great. As a rule the more wire
the better especially for lower frequencies
--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old July 17th 03, 07:51 PM
RHF

DC,

Basically what you have made is an Inverted "L" Low Noise Antenna
using a Matching Transformer. The Inverted "L" is the best antenna
shape for adaptation to the Low Noise Antenna Design by John Doty.
Using the 'right' Matching Transformer in this design can create a
very quite and broadband antenna good for 500kHz through 30MHz an
gives equal or better performance than most of the common ready made
or home brewed antennas - IMHO.

Low Noise Antenna (External) written by John Doty
GoTo= http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html
From the Association of North American Radio Clubs (ANARC) WebSite and
the Rec.Radio.ShortWave (NG) WebPage

~ RHF