Old July 16th 03, 12:18 AM
Al Patrick

Default Mars Apparition

The Dawn Soliloquy wrote:

Other than the excoriation that will ensue about the inappropriateness of this
post, does anyone in this group observe the planets, (Amateur or Professional
Astronomers) and are there any shortwave radio related shows concerning the
approaching apparition?

It has been mentioned by numerous broadcasters on WWCR. Some seem to
think there's great significance in it. The Red Planet probably has at
least the significance of a major comet which many think to be a bad
omen for some world leader. Bro. Stair mentioned the other day that so
many world leaders are in their 80's and 90's now -- Reagan, the Pope,
the (? 100 year) old senator from SC that died recently and several
others who played very important roles. Don't recall their names.
Don't recall what importance he placed on it, but thought we MIGHT BE
about to see the deaths of ( "a rash of" ) many who have been a
stabilizing force in a very unstable world.

Al

Old July 16th 03, 01:29 AM
Iron Jeff

Greetings...

No telescope here, but I got up early this morning and looked with
binoculars. No surface detail, but it looked like it was in a gibbous
phase.

You will love the cool astronomical downloads at www.fourmilab.ch.
You must get Home Planet.

I have heard no SW host mention the approach of Mars yet (I'm on topic
now).

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:06:02 GMT, Its (The Dawn
Soliloquy) wrote:

Mars, not Texe Marrs, (
http://www.texemarrs.com) but the real thing,
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/rpif/img/mars/mars2.gif and
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/rpif/mars/mars.html

Anyway, as radio waves, including shortwave, travel through space to Mars and
beyond, then of course this post is on topic.

Since the apparition of Mars this August is going to be better than it's been
in recorded history, http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars...ew_021108.html
have any of this group's posters taken the time to observe it?

Using a 60MM refractor, 1 ¼ eyepiece, yielding about 130 power, (900 mm/7mm
telescope/eyepiece) I am able to see dark areas on the surface, albeit very
small. I am also able to easily discern the polar ice (dry ice) cap. That is,
able to see it at about 3:00 AM Eastern, when it has risen far enough to
permit relatively clean viewing clear of thick atmosphere at the horizon.

Other than the excoriation that will ensue about the inappropriateness of this
post, does anyone in this group observe the planets, (Amateur or Professional
Astronomers) and are there any shortwave radio related shows concerning the
approaching apparition?

Regards.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.

Old July 16th 03, 03:02 AM
Brian Denley

Al:
The gravitational pull of the chair next to you is stronger than that of
Mars. You should worry more about the chair.

--
Brian Denley

Old July 16th 03, 03:16 AM
Jackie

"Iron Jeff" wrote in message
Greetings...

No telescope here, but I got up early this morning and looked with
binoculars. No surface detail, but it looked like it was in a gibbous
phase.

If you're interested in Mars' upcoming close approach this August, you may
want to check out the August issue of Sky & Telescope magazine, which is
available at all fine booksellers. There is LOTS of good info in this issue
about how to view not only Mars, but also some of its surface details and
its two tiny moons.

Try checking out Mars about one and a half months from now... that's when
it'll be closer to us than it's been since the Cro-Magnons were painting
bulls on cave walls in northern Spain.

Jack.
--
Amateur radio operator (General class), shortwave listener since 1980, and
amateur astronomer since Hector was a pup.

Old July 16th 03, 03:25 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

I've heard a lot of this stuff on shortwave Al. I was looking for something a
little more scientific. Believe me, I am interested in the paranormal, it's
just that the difference between this apparition of Mars and some of the
recent ones is really not that significant. It's one of those technical
things, something like 34.6 million miles for this one, to 36.5 million miles
for a previous (1988) apparition, which I also observed, it was pretty good.
Technically, it's closer than ever in recorded history, and of course
harbingers don't need scientific proximities to validate them, but I was
wondering if any shows discussed observations and such.

Nevertheless, thanks for your response.

Regards.

Old July 16th 03, 05:02 AM
starman

The Dawn Soliloquy wrote:

Mars, not Texe Marrs, ( http://www.texemarrs.com) but the real thing,
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/rpif/img/mars/mars2.gif and
http://www.nasm.si.edu/ceps/rpif/mars/mars.html

Anyway, as radio waves, including shortwave, travel through space to Mars and
beyond, then of course this post is on topic.

Since the apparition of Mars this August is going to be better than it's been
in recorded history, http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars...ew_021108.html
have any of this group's posters taken the time to observe it?

I've been noticing how bright Mars has been getting in the past few
weeks. I guess it's time to get out my ten incher. :-)

Old July 16th 03, 04:06 PM
Mark S. Holden

TommyBoy wrote:

[...]

There is a handful of guys that frequent both this group and
sci.astro; for them such a post seems very much on topic! Not like
receiving Jupiter's radio waves, but somehow acceptable.

The only serious comment I've heard on SW about Mars was on Earth and
Sky. I've heard it on VOA (I think) and Radio for Peace Intl.

Insofar as serious observation talk, like meltlines and dust storms, I
haven't found any, and I'm not holding my breath! I was hoping that
Rod Molise (a ham) might be overheard describing Mars as seen in his
11"... but I'm not hopeful.

So the best advice for anyone in the group is to break out their old
scope and rack it up to about 50-60x per inch of objective (if a small
scope) and then easily see the polar cap and probably a few other
markings as well. If you miss this apparition the next warm-weather,
sizeable Mars disk comes in 2020.

Bye.

Two years ago Radio Netherlands had an interesting program on the practical problems of sending a manned space flight to Mars.

Many astronomical societies will be having public observing sessions for Mars - mostly around the end of August and beginning of September.

The one I'm a member of in Stratford CT will probably have one on 8/29 and again around 9/5. John Dobson (inventor of the "Dobsonian" telescope mount) will be a guest speaker at one or both of the events.

I routinely run into other people who are interested in shortwave at astronomical gatherings. The year I brought the 6790 and the Standard to Stellafane, I had almost as many people stop by to check out the radios as my scope.

Regards,

Mark

Boothe Memorial Astronomical Society Home Page:
www.bmas.org
Old July 17th 03, 01:46 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

Interesting, I am a former member of the AAAP in the Pittsburgh Pa area.
(Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh).

I should write to some of my friends that are currently members, and maybe
make arrangements to get some obscure area of the grounds and set up a
shortwave table on a scheduled public observing night.

http://trfn.clpgh.org/aaap/

Check out the 11" Refractor, circa early 1900s.

http://trfn.clpgh.org/aaap/images/brashear.jpg

Obviously, my usual fare of evening listening will need to be modified, lest I
scare anyone away, or be arrested as a rightwing extremist. I'd need to do
some research to see what's on that might have a broader appeal to a general
audience, enough to interest them in shortwave.

August 1st and 2nd and the 16th would be the days available for my endeavors,
a Friday, Saturday and Saturday respectively.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hope I can work something out with the club. Does
anyone have any suggestions for appealing shows on the dates enumerated, BBC,
Marions's Attic, etc.

Regards.

Old July 17th 03, 04:52 AM
K.chattenton

Hi Jack, all,
"Jackie" Try checking out Mars about one and a half
months from now... that's when
it'll be closer to us than it's been since the Cro-Magnons were painting
bulls on cave walls in northern Spain.

Jack.
--

It's closest approach will be on the 27th of August ( -2 Magnitude ).
On July 17 the moon occults Mars ( for observers in the Central Americas ).

---