Old July 17th 03, 07:25 AM
RHF

Default ? RUMOR ? GE Superadio III ? Discontinued ?

FO&A,

The "RUMOR" persists that the GE Superadio III has been discontinued.

This week the local Long's Drug Store Photo/Electronics Manager said
that the GE-SR-IIIs are no longer available from their distributor.

? Will Thomson CE be offering a GE Superadio IV soon ?

NOTE: Thomson Consumer Electronics 'owns' the GE & RCA Radio Brand
Names:

? When Can We Expect a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

? What Can We Expect in a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

? Or, Is the GE Superadio III the Last of a Kind ?

What 'Features' would you want to see in a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

Lets make a List:

1. Digital Display

2. AM Sync Detector

3. Two FM Radio IF's Stereo 180kHz and Mono 110kHz

4. Two AM Radio IF Filters Wide 6kHz and Narrow 3.5kHz

5. RF Gain Control or Local/DX Switch

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

Please, Add Your Wishes to the List )

~ RHF

..

..
Old July 17th 03, 07:54 AM
Brenda Ann

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
FO&A,

The "RUMOR" persists that the GE Superadio III has been discontinued.

This week the local Long's Drug Store Photo/Electronics Manager said
that the GE-SR-IIIs are no longer available from their distributor.

? Will Thomson CE be offering a GE Superadio IV soon ?

NOTE: Thomson Consumer Electronics 'owns' the GE & RCA Radio Brand
Names:

? When Can We Expect a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

? What Can We Expect in a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

? Or, Is the GE Superadio III the Last of a Kind ?

Thomson may not be in a big hurry to introduce anything new in the US, what
with all the Francophobe sentiments currently extant..

What 'Features' would you want to see in a 'New' GE Superadio IV ?

Lets make a List:

1. Digital Display

One of the benefits of the Superadio series has been the low noise floor
allowing decent DX... making a PLL and digital display would bring up the
noise floor and cut the useful sensitivity.

They had a digital Superadio back in 1983, called the Superadio Plus. It was
a colossal bomb, and it's nearly impossible to find one of them on the used
market. I have never seen one on ebay (and I have looked for one).

2. AM Sync Detector

3. Two FM Radio IF's Stereo 180kHz and Mono 110kHz

Why would you want a bandpass less than that of the deviation used? FM
broadcast deviation is 75 KHz each side of the carrier center frequency, for
a total bandwidth used of 150 KHz. A 110 KHz bandwidth filter would cause
massive distortion. Mono and stereo FM broadcast signals use the same
bandwidth.

4. Two AM Radio IF Filters Wide 6kHz and Narrow 3.5kHz

5. RF Gain Control or Local/DX Switch

6. A dial that tracks, like the SRI and SRII...

7. A case that doesn't resonate and rattle at mid-bass frequencies

8.

9.

10.

Please, Add Your Wishes to the List )

~ RHF

.

.

Old July 17th 03, 03:58 PM
A Ham Elmer

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Why would you want a bandpass less than that of the deviation used? FM
broadcast deviation is 75 KHz each side of the carrier center frequency,

for
a total bandwidth used of 150 KHz. A 110 KHz bandwidth filter would cause
massive distortion. Mono and stereo FM broadcast signals use the same
bandwidth.

However deviation and bandwidth are not the same thing. From Frequency
Modulation Theory:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...dio/radio.html

Amplitude Modulation bandwidth can be considered exactly two times the
highest frequency of modulation, while Frequency Modulation bandwidth is
described by Bessel Functions that extend much higher than those of
Amplitude Modulation. In fact the "FM Advantage" in signal-to-noise ratio
stems exactly from spreading the modulation over a greater bandwidth than
Amplitude Modulation.

BANDWIDTH = 2 X (PEAK DEVIATION + HIGHEST MODULATING FREQUENCY)

Old July 17th 03, 06:25 PM
RHF

BA,

"They had a digital Superadio back in 1983, called the Superadio Plus. It was
a colossal bomb, and it's nearly impossible to find one of them on the used
market. I have never seen one on ebay (and I have looked for one)."

well, Well. WELL !
- - - You just missed a "GE {Digital} Superadio Plus" on eBay . . .
This was the Complete Radio + Original Box + Documentation.

Read Messages #304 and #305 in the "Long Range" eGroup at YAHOO!

NOTE: There are two "GE Superadio" eGroups on YAHOO!

* "Long Range" eGroup for "GE Superadio" I-II-IIIs
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/longrange/

* "GE Superadio III" eGroup
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SuperadioIII/

~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Brenda Ann"

Old July 18th 03, 12:58 AM
Mike Maghakian

HI, BA,

check this: http://www.geocities.com/toddemslie/...electivity.htm

Old July 18th 03, 03:15 AM
Brenda Ann

"Mike Maghakian" wrote in message
om...
HI, BA,

check this: http://www.geocities.com/toddemslie/...electivity.htm

I have to disagree with him. Yes, various subcarriers are found above 50
KHz, but, as in television, the main modulation goes much higher than
that... i.e. the L+R modulation runs to 75 KHz deviation, and restricting
the bandpass below that introduces distortion. The way I was taught is:

Volume= how FAR the carrier is deviated
Pitch (tone)= how FAST the carrier is deviated.

It's more complicated than that, but it's a rule of thumb.