Old July 27th 03, 01:50 AM
Jay Quinn

Default Install Question about Trap Dipole Antenna (Eavesdropper/C)

Hi all, I have a Eavesdropper/C antenna, and I'm going to install it
in the attack this evening, as a straight line wire. What is the best
way to lay it out, running North to South or to East of West, or askew
to a certain pair of the compass points? I'm located in Northeast
Texas. Thanks, Jay

Old July 28th 03, 02:43 PM
Robert F Wieland

The URL for the website to plot customized azimuth-projection maps is

http://www.wm7d.net/az_proj/az_html/...shtml#make_map

Lots of strange things on these maps. Here in the eastern USA, a regular
wall map suggests signals from Thailand should come from nearly east or
nearly west; the azimuth map shows 'em coming from due north (the
great-circle route comes over the north pole).

--

R F Wieland Newark, DE 19711-5323 USA 39.68N 75.74W
Icom R75 Heathkit GR-81 Inverted-L in the attic
Old July 28th 03, 08:54 PM
Art Harris

Jay Quinn wrote:
I have a Eavesdropper/C antenna, and I'm going to install it
in the attack this evening, as a straight line wire. What is the best
way to lay it out, running North to South or to East of West, or askew
to a certain pair of the compass points? I'm located in Northeast
Texas.

Dipoles receive best at right angles to the wire, and worst off the
ends. The lobes are broad, but the nulls (off the ends) are sharp. In
general, you should orient the wire broadside to direction you want to
receive. But it's actually more important to place the nulls in areas
you're NOT interested in hearing.

Art Harris N2AH