Old August 5th 03, 04:13 PM
Diverd4777

Default More tests on the $9.95 B & H

More tests on the $9.95 B & H

I tried out listening to Two Very far away stations,
simultaneously, with the B & H and the R-75.

With a 40 foot antenna hooked onto the B & H 9 band, and
lots of twiddling on the tuning knob,
I was able to
pick up 9.580 ( radio Australia) from the U.S East Coast.

True, I can hear several other stations murmering in the background,
Specifically 9.801 ( Used the R-75 to check this out)

tuning display on the B & H is somewhat innacurate,
& needs fiddling with every few minutes to keep it on frequency.

But Radio Autralia does come in on this set! 10,000 miles away.
Not bad..

Tried 17.675 ( Radio New Zealand) last night.
Picked it up following procedure above.

for $9.95, not a bad little set !

Old August 6th 03, 06:01 AM
WShoots1

tuning display on the B & H is somewhat innacurate,

That's an understatement. True, on some bands, the calibration will be close.
On others, it's way off. The four variable caps inside only peak the signal
following the broadband input, one each for AM/FM/SW/TV. But for only $9.95...?

After buying one, I bought two more, one each for my 15 year old grandson
around the corner from me and the 13 year old girl next door. Using a tapped
coil sig gen I built and a freq counter, I made a calibration table for each of
them. I then gave the kids the radios and each kid a 2-inch notebook loaded
with SW intro and info.

I recently gave each a jWIN. Now these newbies already have two SW radios each.
LOL

Bill, K5BY