Old August 9th 03, 11:48 PM
Namikis

Default Recommendations

I have been in and out of this hobby for 20 years. After trying all kinds
of equipment the one radio I keep coming back to i sthe Panasonic RF-2200.
I have owned multiple Sonys, Drales, etc., but this thing just works. If
you can find one in ebay for cheap, take it. It is not the best for SSB,
but for general SW and AM it is great.

Old November 20th 04, 12:27 AM
Harveyat8c43z0

This is the Portable Du Jour that everyone really likes..

http://tinyurl.com/57xbf

- But hedge yer bets,
Also get a Jwin JX m-14 Just in case .
Old November 20th 04, 03:05 AM
0ff_r/-\\Mp

I am leaving for Army basic training in a few weeks.

Go to eBay and bid on a Sony ICF-SW55 - it looks like a high tech Army radio
and about as tough.

Old November 20th 04, 04:11 AM
0ff_r/-\\_/\\\\p

I am leaving for Army basic training in a few weeks.

The Sony ICF-SW55 is in the upper right:
http://gilkeson.net/gallery/20040524...there/IMGP0107

Allegedly still available in Japan
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/tourist/radio/acc/index.cfm?PD=1048&KM=ICF-SW55(J
E)&LG=1

....and Europe
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...uct/61548.html

Curious?

Old November 21st 04, 05:26 AM
tommyknocker

0ff_r/-\\_/\\\\p wrote:

I am leaving for Army basic training in a few weeks.

The Sony ICF-SW55 is in the upper right:
http://gilkeson.net/gallery/20040524...there/IMGP0107

Allegedly still available in Japan
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/tourist/radio/acc/index.cfm?PD=1048&KM=ICF-SW55(J
E)&LG=1

....and Europe
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...uct/61548.html

Curious?

I imagine that since Sony is getting out of SW that the 55 is pretty
hard to find. I use the Degen 1102, available on Ebay. It uses three AA
batteries and has an included external (non whip) antenna that plugs
into a side jack, which greatly improves its performance and which is
better than clipping wire to the end of the whip. I paid about $75 for
mine, which includes shipping from Hong Kong (the stamps on the package
had a value of HK$121.10!).

Old November 21st 04, 02:29 PM
homepc

I was looking at the Kaito KA1102 advertised at
http://www.shortwavestore.com/kaito-ka1102.html

What do you think of this radio? Is it sturdy enough to take back and forth
to work? I want a good radio that will work in an office with lots of pc's
and concrete. Is this radio easy to use, or is there a steep learning
curve?

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
0ff_r/-\\_/\\\\p wrote:

[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old November 21st 04, 03:13 PM
Jim

i have used a sangean ats606 in a dumptruck for a long time. thats rough
service! it even has knuckle marks in the speaker grill where i shifted
gears too hard with it hanging on the dashboard. that radio suffers
heat, dirt, vibration, an occasional drop to the floor and still works
great. if that radio cant stand up to your durability requirements then
you arent going to find one that will.

Old November 21st 04, 04:16 PM
0ff_r/-\\/\\\\p

I imagine that since Sony is getting out of SW that the 55 is pretty
hard to find

[snip]

I am seeing SW55's available on eBay consistantly and going for around
$225-$275.
It's performance is in the class of the SW77. As I mentioned in my previous
message,
they are still available in Europe and possibly in Japan duty free shops.
If he will be
shipped out to any of those two locations he can pick up the King of
portables new,
in box, overseas.

. I use the Degen 1102, available on Ebay I paid about $75 for
mine, which includes shipping from Hong Kong (the stamps on the package
had a value of HK$121.10!).

So, you paid about US$17 to have a cheap, Chinese radio sent from Hong Kong.
I don't think his boot camp sargeant will treat him "kindly" when he shows
up with
a Communist Party radio - bwahAHAHAHA!

Old November 21st 04, 05:47 PM
Sanjaya

"homepc" wrote in message ...
I was looking at the Kaito KA1102 advertised at
http://www.shortwavestore.com/kaito-ka1102.html

What do you think of this radio? Is it sturdy enough to take back and forth
to work? I want a good radio that will work in an office with lots of pc's
and concrete. Is this radio easy to use, or is there a steep learning
curve?

Save some money and get the Degen OEM version
DE1102
http://stores.ebay.com/V-COM-COLLECTIONS
For better sound and sensitivity get a DE1103
Both are excellent, but if I could have only one of the two
I'd pick the 1103.
I can vouch for the seller at the above link (Liypn). He
sells the latest version of the improved 1103 and he tests
the radios before shipping.
I can't say either will work in your office with the pc's going.
But if you're near a window you might improve reception
by placing the radio in the sill and passing the included
external wire out the window. The 1102 comes with the
needed 220v step up transformer, the 1103 doesn't (from Liypn).
He sells it separately for that radio.
But if you have your own battery charger and at least 2 sets
of AA batteries you won't need the transformer for either.
Another excellent choice for your purposes is the Tecsun PL200.
It doesn't have SSB like the other two, but it does come with
the step up transformer. Note that I am using facts about the
seller Liypn. I don't know about other sellers of these fine radios.

Old November 21st 04, 06:39 PM
lsmyer

The DE1103 is my recommendation as well. I have many portable radios, but my
favorite is my DE1103. I also got mine from Liypn.