Old August 13th 03, 08:39 AM
Brenda Ann

Default Jwin radio.. kewl... :)

Got my little Jwin radio in the mail today. For what it is, it's totally
amazing. Put in a pair of cheap carbon batteries, and away it went. First
thing I noticed was the calibration.. don't know how they managed such
accuracy in something so tiny. I thought previously that it may have had a
frequency counter, but now I rather think it's just a voltage controlled
output to an ADC.

Anyway, everything on FM was right where it should be. Then on to AM.
Everything there spot on, too. Don't know many SW frequencies for various
stations, but I do know WWVH, and even here inside my little concrete and
steel bunker of an apartment, both 10 and 15 MHz were on the money...
totally amazing.. and not bad sound, either. Rather reminds me of the good
old days when quality of sound mattered in a pocket radio..

Going to play around a bit with it in the next few days to see how far I can
push the band edges. Already it will go from 86.3-109.4 on FM, and from 502
to 1721 on BCB, so it effortlessly covers the Xband.

--
Illigitimus non tatum carborundum

*Don't let the *******s wear you down*

Old August 13th 03, 03:19 PM
WShoots1

Brenda Ann: I thought previously that it may have had a frequency counter,
but now I rather think it's just a voltage controlled output to an ADC.

Interesting thought.

Going to play around a bit with it in the next few days to see how far I can
push the band edges.

The three I bought covered the advertised bands plus have extensions on both
ends of each band that help. What I did for them is to determine the true band
edges and then print, cut, and tape (1" tape) to their bottoms their actual
limits, so I'd know at a glance whether a given station would be covered.

I used 8-point Letter Gothic Bold font in the following format:

SW Bands - MHz: 4 11.38 - 12.50
1 5.84 -- 6.47 5 13.34 - 14.35
2 6.86 -- 7.56 6 14.78 - 15.84
3 9.29 - 10.30 7 17.11 - 18.33

The result is nice, neat, tiny columns properly aligned. The above is for my
jWIN S/N 030404353.

Bill, K5BY

Old August 16th 03, 04:01 PM
David Moisan

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:39:51 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

old days when quality of sound mattered in a pocket radio..

Going to play around a bit with it in the next few days to see how far I can
push the band edges. Already it will go from 86.3-109.4 on FM, and from 502
to 1721 on BCB, so it effortlessly covers the Xband.

I have that Jwin as well. I'm delighted with mine. Only gripe is
that my unit's band edges are lower than yours; I can get up to 1640
on MW. The edges change as the batteries are used up; I could get up
to 12.165 when I got it, now I can only get up to 12.100 or so.

I also notice detuning when you put your thumb over the flipstand in
the retracted position.

I paid more than some, $36 through radios4you.com, but I got the radio
in 3 days and am *much* more satisfied with it than I was with the
B&H.

Don't forget to file reply comments to the FCC on Docket 03-104 so
that we can still have stations to listen to on the JWin.

Take care,

Dave

David Moisan, N1KGH, SKYWARN
Invisible Disability: