Old August 18th 03, 03:37 AM
Warpcore

Default National Anthem of Australia

I wish to apologise to Australians. In a reply to a recent post here, I said
that "Waltzing Matilda" was the national anthem of Australia. A reply
corrected my ignorance. I honestly thought it was - I've thought that it was
all my life. Anyway, I love the song, and hold Australia in high regard, so
I was somewhat mortified to read of my error.

Thanks

Old August 18th 03, 10:39 PM
MJC

There was a great sci-fi movie in the late 50's called "On the Beach"
which told the story of a submarine crew that survived a worldwide nuclear
holocaust because they were out in the ocean under water. While waiting for
the "end" to come to an end, they constantly monitored radio broadcasts from
around the world but more and more stations kept dropping off the air as
most of the earth became silent.
After some weeks and the nuclear dust cleared, they made their way to
Australia because they figured that was the safest place what with radiation
and all. Anyway, it really was a classic (and certainly one of the early
leftist's attempts to scare people into buying into their anti-war agenda
although still a great movie just the same), but the reason that I mention
it here is that all throughout the movie, the song "Waltzing Matilda" was
the background music that gave a common musical theme for the movie which
was set, for the most part, in Australia.
I'm thinkin' that perhaps you had seen that movie as a kid and the
song's Australian connection never left you.
Sorry, just rambling....
Now I have to PLONK myself.

MJC

ink.net...

Old August 18th 03, 11:44 PM
Frank Dresser

"MJC" wrote in message
[...]

Don't remember much from the movie, but I did read the book. Did the movie
keep the SW radio subplot? The sub crew kept receiving encouraging CW
gibberish, even well after all the other signals went dark. They were able
to direction find the signal to the Pacific Northwest. If I recall, the
elements of the solved mystery involved a pop bottle, a loose window
shutter, and most implausably -- a power grid that never blew it's fuse.

Frank Dresser

Old August 19th 03, 12:54 AM
The Dawn Soliloquy

http://www.imdb.com/Title?0053137

Gregory Peck ......... Cmdr. Dwight Lionel Towers, USS Sawfish
Ava Gardner ........... Moira Davidson
Fred Astaire ........... Julian Osborne
Anthony Perkins .......Lt. Cmdr. Peter Holmes, Royal Australian Navy
Donna Anderson (I) ...Mary Holmes
John Tate (I) ........... Adm. Bridie
Harp McGuire ........ Sundstrom (ashore in San Diego)
Lola Brooks .......... Lt. Hosgood (Bridie's secretary)
Ken Wayne ........... Benson
Guy Doleman ........ Farrel
Richard Meikle ...... Davis
John Meillon ......... Ashore in San Francisco
Joe McCormick .... Ackerman (radiation sickness)
Lou Vernon .......... Bill Davidson (Moira's father)
Kevin Brennan (I) .... Dr. King (radiation diagnosis)

Runtime: 134 min
Country: USA
Language: English
Color: Black and White
Sound Mix: Mono
Certification: Finland:K-16

Information from the Internet Movie Data Base at http://www.imdb.com

Actually sounds quite interesting. I'll need to look for this one.

Regards.

In article , "MJC" wrote:
There was a great sci-fi movie in the late 50's called "On the Beach"
which told the story of a submarine crew that survived a worldwide nuclear
holocaust because they were out in the ocean under water. While waiting for
the "end" to come to an end, they constantly monitored radio broadcasts from
around the world but more and more stations kept dropping off the air as
most of the earth became silent.

Never say never.
Nothing is absolute.

Old August 19th 03, 02:07 AM
Diverd4777

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" writes:

Don't remember much from the movie, but I did read the book. Did the movie
keep the SW radio subplot? The sub crew kept receiving encouraging CW
gibberish, even well after all the other signals went dark. They were able
to direction find the signal to the Pacific Northwest. If I recall, the
elements of the solved mystery involved a pop bottle, a loose window
shutter, and most implausably -- a power grid that never blew it's fuse.

Frank Dresser

Yes, the movie kept the SW radio Subplot.. With everyone in Australia
preparing for the end, Grimly partying or whatever,
( Or falling Hard for Ava Gardner)
They're Always picking up a signal from the Pacific Northwest.
Following the signal with a direction finder, walking up a flight of stairs,
turning into the room..
Eerie scene... just an open window, flapping windowshade with the cord hooked
onto a telegraph key..

Nevile Shute is the author of the book " On The Beach" BTW . . .

Old August 19th 03, 03:39 AM
Frank Dresser

"Diverd4777" wrote in message

Yes, the movie kept the SW radio Subplot.. With everyone in Australia
preparing for the end, Grimly partying or whatever,
( Or falling Hard for Ava Gardner)
They're Always picking up a signal from the Pacific Northwest.
Following the signal with a direction finder, walking up a flight of

stairs,
turning into the room..
Eerie scene... just an open window, flapping windowshade with the cord

hooked
onto a telegraph key..

Nevile Shute is the author of the book " On The Beach" BTW . . .

That's good. I've seen bits and pieces of the movie on TV, but I don't
think I've seen it all. I thought the radio stuff was the best part of the
book.

I generally prefered end of the world stories from late night cheesy 50s
movies, especially Roger Corman's. They were quicker paced than the big
Hollywood productions, and showed more skin.

I also have a dim Sunday School memory of somebody pulling out an old record
player and playing an even older doomsday blast from the past:

http://www.harvestnet.org/prophecies/aaallenvision.htm

Something for us kiddies to think about, I'm sure.

Oh well. The Cold War is over and TV has replaced cheap late nite movies
with infomertials. At least we still have the SW radio doomsayers.

Frank Dresser

Old August 19th 03, 03:59 AM
Pete Ritter

Warpcore wrote:

I wish to apologise to Australians. In a reply to a recent post here, I
said that "Waltzing Matilda" was the national anthem of Australia. A reply
corrected my ignorance. I honestly thought it was - I've thought that it
was all my life. Anyway, I love the song, and hold Australia in high
regard, so I was somewhat mortified to read of my error.

Thanks

How could you not know it is "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"? I thought
everyone, even we Yanks, knew that!

--
# I prefer GNU/Linux to Windows because
# I prefer self-empowerment to slavery.
Old August 19th 03, 10:42 PM
starman

John wrote:

It's cool, we only wish Waltzing Matilda was out anthem ! 8-)
"Warpcore" wrote in message
ink.net...
I wish to apologise to Australians. In a reply to a recent post here, I

said
that "Waltzing Matilda" was the national anthem of Australia. A reply
corrected my ignorance. I honestly thought it was - I've thought that it

was
all my life. Anyway, I love the song, and hold Australia in high regard,

so
I was somewhat mortified to read of my error.

Thanks

For 'Australiaphils' (I made it up) like myself, I recommend a recent
movie called 'The Dish'. It's about the big radio telescope in Australia
that proved to be a crucial communications link during the Apollo-11
mission in July, 1969.

Old August 20th 03, 10:13 AM
Blue

No worries mate !

When our Prime Minister was in South Korea recently the Koreans kept playing
"Rule Britannia" at the official functions.