Old August 20th 03, 03:19 AM
Kevin Miller

Default Please help w/ Sangean ATS 909

I bought one of these to try to listen to AM 1000 out of Chicago. I
live in Fort Wayne, IN about 160 miles east. I'm willing to do just
about anything including a roof top antenna. Any suggestions?
thanks!

Kevin Miller
Old August 20th 03, 03:54 AM
Al Patrick

can provide you with antennas and info. His web
site is
http://www.torustuner.com/
http://www.torustuner.com.futuresite.register.com/ .

He makes very sensitive SW, MW, and LW antennas that are very easy to
operate. He shows the 909 with the loop on the web site. You can go to
Wal-Mart (? housewares dept) and check out their little lazy susan type
TV bases. I think they sell for under $5 and, as mentioned, are to be
able to rotate your tv. It will appear a bit stiff for the little 909
initially, but a spray or two of WD-40 will take care of that. You'll
be able to rotate the antenna and radio together.

This makes for a great little combination.

Al

==================

Old August 20th 03, 05:50 AM
Frank Dresser

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message

I bought one of these to try to listen to AM 1000 out of Chicago. I
live in Fort Wayne, IN about 160 miles east. I'm willing to do just
about anything including a roof top antenna. Any suggestions?
thanks!

Kevin Miller

What time of day are you trying to listen? I'm kinda thinking you might be
in an area where the skywave interferes with the groundwave.

Frank Dresser

Old August 21st 03, 01:10 AM
Frank Dresser

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message

95% of the time it's early to late evening

As a test, try listening during the day. During the daytime, the skywave
signal should be strongly attenuated, leaving only the groundwave signal.
If the daytime signal is weaker but much steadier than the nighttime signal,
it's almost certain the skywave signal and the groundwave signal are
interfering with each other in the evening.

The groundwave is the part of the wave that stays at the surface of the
earth. It goes out farther with increases in soil conductivity and
wavelength. The skywave is the part of the signal that gets bent around
back to the surface by the ionosphere. It comes back with to the surface
with differing phases and polorizations from the orignal signal. It will
add constructively or destructively to the ground wave at slightly differing
times and frequencies. At certain distances, it all turns into a big
mish-mash, much worse than normal skywave variations.

I've never put much effort into minimizing such interference. But I can
make a suggestion. Since the interfering signal is coming from the same
direction as the desired signal, normal nulling techniques won't work.
However, putting the loop in a horizontal direction might null out enough of
the groundwave to keep it from interfering with the nighttime skywave. I
expect this will null out most of the skywave, too, leaving you with a weak
signal. Might be worth a try.

Phased antennas might work better, but I can't recommend anything in that
direction.

Frank Dresser

Old August 21st 03, 03:08 AM
John Garrison

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

[...]

Makes me wonder how diversity tuning might work in any general BCB listening
scenario. Worth the effort?

Old August 21st 03, 12:12 PM
Frank Dresser

"John Garrison" wrote in message

Makes me wonder how diversity tuning might work in any general BCB

listening
scenario. Worth the effort?

I think that would be a good approach, if possible. The books like a
seperation of a few wavelengths between diversity antennas, and at 300
meters, that's alot of space. I'm not certain that groundwave-skywave
interference is Kevin's problem. I hope it's not, because I can't think of
any easy solutions.

Frank Dresser