Old August 20th 03, 10:52 PM
Mark Harper

Default R-5000 Service Manual

Hi all!

anyone know where I can locate (online possibly ??) a copy of the R-5000
Service Manual - or more importantly, the parts relating to removing the
VHF board, and battey replacement!

Have been given the task of repairing my grandads 14-year old 5000, which
after years of use, has suddenly started playing up - looks to be the
internal battery - Its fine after a few hours!

Given that its not mine, I'd like to make sure that if theres any
procedures that need to be followed, that they're done in order, etc!

Many thanks

--
Mark
Old August 21st 03, 03:05 AM
The Axelrods

Go to

http://www.w7fg.com/manual.txt

manual for sale there

Shawn

Mark Harper wrote:

Hi all!

anyone know where I can locate (online possibly ??) a copy of the R-5000
Service Manual - or more importantly, the parts relating to removing the
VHF board, and battey replacement!

Have been given the task of repairing my grandads 14-year old 5000, which
after years of use, has suddenly started playing up - looks to be the
internal battery - Its fine after a few hours!

Given that its not mine, I'd like to make sure that if theres any
procedures that need to be followed, that they're done in order, etc!

Many thanks

--
Mark

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old August 21st 03, 09:46 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Mark Harper wrote:

Hi all!

anyone know where I can locate (online possibly ??) a copy of the R-5000
Service Manual - or more importantly, the parts relating to removing the
VHF board, and battey replacement!

Have been given the task of repairing my grandads 14-year old 5000, which
after years of use, has suddenly started playing up - looks to be the
internal battery - Its fine after a few hours!

Given that its not mine, I'd like to make sure that if theres any
procedures that need to be followed, that they're done in order, etc!

WAIT!! If the clock stops or the radio looses it's memory, the battery
is dead. You have to be careful, as later ones have a rechargable
lithium battery, but mine (circa 1990) does not.

However if the display goes from normal to ......... and if you change
the tuning, pops back to normal for a few seconds and then goes to
,.,,,,, then it's a different problem.

The main PLL was potted in a syntheic rubber. As it aged, the rubber
became hdyroscopic (absorbed water out of the air) and eventualy detunes
and then corrodes the components in the PLL section. It's potted in
a little can. The correct way to repair it is to remove the can,
unsolder all of the components, remove all of the rubber and replace
them, with new ones for any that are damaged by corrosion.

Being in Israel, where there is no one to send it to, and having
no real source of replacement parts, I did it the cheap way.
I unsoldered the lid of the can, and carefully picked out any rubber
I could get with a very small tweezers. I was very carefull, but ended
up with a crushed capacitor, which I was able to replace localy.

Radio works fine, but the VHF converter never worked again.

I have a service manual, but it does not have tune up instructions
for the VHF unit. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

National NC60 service info or service manual cheapone Boatanchors 0 November 24th 04 11:01 PM
National NC60 service info or service manual cheapone Boatanchors 0 November 24th 04 11:01 PM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FA: REALISTIC PRO-34 SCANNER SERVICE MANUAL Asa Cannell Scanner 0 November 18th 04 03:20 AM