Old August 24th 03, 05:43 PM
Frank Dresser

Default BPL *IS* Going to Happen- Get Ready

"David Stinson" wrote in message

Money talks, public service walks- BPL is a certainty.

Money's the half of it. Ego and politics are the other half. Pols like
Michael Powell and Billy Tauzin want credit for sweeping away all those
presumably outmoded concerns about RFI so people in rural areas can get the
on ramp to the modern hi-speed info superhighway right there in their
fusebox.

The "null it out- anyone can do it" argument is crap-
works well in theory, poorly in the field.
Even with excellent nulling, QRP and other weak signal work is finished.
Shortwave DXing is finished.

You have three choices-
Give up radio.
Move far enough into the country to avoid the polluted grid,
"Gorilla warfare-" Power lines that leak out, can also leak IN.
50 watts of broadband noise generator plugged into the nearest socket
would do. Note that I would never advocate anything illegal.....
D.S.

As a former US President said, "We could do it, but it would be wrong."

I have to wonder how much BPL access would be knocked out by a sparky old
ozone generating vacuum cleaner. One room? A few houses?

And let's not forget our old nemisis, the bargain basement switchmode
computer power supply. I have one which pumps enough hashy variable
frequency hets to overwhelm even strong local broadcast stations on a radio
in the same room.

Some thief ran, well -- hobbled, off with my arc welder a few years ago. I
never replaced it. Good thing, I now realize.

I kinda doubt electrical interference would cut off somebody's BPL access
entirely. I picture the error rate going up and up, and the connection
speeds going down and down. Maybe even slower than dial-up. Even worse,
the guy who pays for BPL is likely to blame the power company, rather than
the real culprit -- the clown who just doesn't give a damn about RFI.

Frank Dresser

Old August 24th 03, 06:03 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:43:12 GMT, Frank Dresser wrote:

Even worse,
the guy who pays for BPL is likely to blame the power company, rather than
the real culprit -- the clown who just doesn't give a damn about RFI.

Aren't they the same in that situation ??

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old August 24th 03, 07:53 PM
Frank Dresser

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:43:12 GMT, Frank Dresser wrote:

Even worse,
the guy who pays for BPL is likely to blame the power company, rather

than
the real culprit -- the clown who just doesn't give a damn about RFI.

Aren't they the same in that situation ??

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Partly. The power company doesn't care. The FCC seems lax in Part 15
enforcement, among other things. Certain congressmen seem to think the only
impediments to the Jetson way of life are outmoded regulations. The
neighbors only think of interference when Tom Brokaw turns green and they
blame it on the SWL's random wire antenna.

The only people who give a damn about RFI are the people who use radio.

I'm not an expert on BPL, but I don't have any faith in the FCC's ability to
look past a glossy demo and into the real world, either. If I had been
invited to the demos, I'd have brought my old vacuum cleaner and my
homebuilt PC with the noisy power supply(which, I assume, is good under Part
15 regs. Ha!). I think somebody would give a damn if everyday electrical
noisemakers slowed BPL.

Frank Dresser

Old August 24th 03, 09:18 PM
Hans Kohb

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Have any of these Genii given any though of what would happen to bpl
during solar event?

Probably nothing at all. BPL operates on conducted RF, not radiated RF.
A solar event might put a random pulse or two on the grid, but not a
sustained coherent signal which might impair BPL. By the way, BPL would
also care little about random white noise.

73, Hans

Old August 24th 03, 11:09 PM
Mike Coslo

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Have any of these Genii given any though of what would happen to bpl
during solar event?

Maybe the FCC can serve an enforcement letter to the sun! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Or how about some high intensity E-skip. 70 over 9 broadband crap
inputing someone elses system. Gotta be fun.

Of course they didn't think it out. If they did it would never have made it
to this stage.

BINGO!

The reason that lights and motors work well enough is that they aren't
affected by the junk that gets impressed on the power lines.

And finally, just finally, I wonder exactly HOW the power companies are
going to respond to the problems of their OWN RFI generation?

Lessee, lets look at the enforcement letters from the FCC. Many of them
are to power providers because of equipment that is interfering with
some ham somewhere. It has to get to the enforcement stage, for crying
out loud. So are the Power companies going to replace all those
transfprmers and other power line junk that is spewing out RFI for the
BPL'ers?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 25th 03, 04:21 PM
K0HB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

And what would happen if a thousand breakers tripped and the lights go out
again? Is the conducted RF going to pass through the 'ether' ?

Uh, don't look now but if "a thousand breakers tripped" the steenking
computers won't power up anyhow and it's a moot point.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Old August 25th 03, 04:26 PM
K0HB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

Or how about some high intensity E-skip.

BPL works on conducted signals, not radiated signals. The power grid
is an incredibly poor receiving antenna, so any microvolt-level or
even millivolt-level signal from "out there" won't even show up on the
copper.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Reality doesn't care what you believe." -- K0HB
Old August 25th 03, 09:54 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

The power companies are not going to do a damn thing that will cost them
money. I have been fighting with ALA Power for 5 years and still don't have
it ALL gone.

All these complaint letters began with me, BTW. I got the ARRL and Riley
involved and they jumped on the bandwagon. But it STILL isn't fixed.

So when they put BPL into this mess there own RFI will trash their new found
toy. Can't wait. Gess its gonna be like a snake eating its own tail.

And with their track record it will be fun to watch...As they destroy HF in
the process.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 26th 03, 05:11 AM
Jim Hampton

Hans,

Do you think insulated 10 gauge ladder line from a 3 KW tuner plugged into
the electric stove outlet might make a good antenna? For experimentation
only, of course

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"K0HB" wrote in message
m...

BPL works on conducted signals, not radiated signals. The power grid
is an incredibly poor receiving antenna, so any microvolt-level or
even millivolt-level signal from "out there" won't even show up on the
copper.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
"Reality doesn't care what you believe." -- K0HB

---

Old August 27th 03, 05:36 AM
Robert Casey

I'm not an expert on BPL, but I don't have any faith in the FCC's ability to
look past a glossy demo and into the real world, either. If I had been
invited to the demos, I'd have brought my old vacuum cleaner and my
homebuilt PC with the noisy power supply(which, I assume, is good under Part
15 regs. Ha!). I think somebody would give a damn if everyday electrical
noisemakers slowed BPL.

Don't know about BPL, but back when they were testing various proposed
broadcast HDTV
transmission standards, one of the devices used in noise tests was
literally an old vacuum cleaner
motor.

new kenwood ts480 voip internet ready g3zhi General 0 June 15th 04 07:57 AM
new kenwood ts480 voip internet ready g3zhi Policy 0 June 15th 04 07:57 AM
READY! AIM! FIRE! Beef Taco CB 0 March 1st 04 05:31 AM
Twithed Get Ready Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup CB 0 December 2nd 03 08:34 PM