Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 24th 03, 05:43 PM
Frank Dresser

Default BPL *IS* Going to Happen- Get Ready

"David Stinson" wrote in message

Money talks, public service walks- BPL is a certainty.

Money's the half of it. Ego and politics are the other half. Pols like
Michael Powell and Billy Tauzin want credit for sweeping away all those
presumably outmoded concerns about RFI so people in rural areas can get the
on ramp to the modern hi-speed info superhighway right there in their
fusebox.

The "null it out- anyone can do it" argument is crap-
works well in theory, poorly in the field.
Even with excellent nulling, QRP and other weak signal work is finished.
Shortwave DXing is finished.

You have three choices-
Give up radio.
Move far enough into the country to avoid the polluted grid,
"Gorilla warfare-" Power lines that leak out, can also leak IN.
50 watts of broadband noise generator plugged into the nearest socket
would do. Note that I would never advocate anything illegal.....
D.S.

As a former US President said, "We could do it, but it would be wrong."

I have to wonder how much BPL access would be knocked out by a sparky old
ozone generating vacuum cleaner. One room? A few houses?

And let's not forget our old nemisis, the bargain basement switchmode
computer power supply. I have one which pumps enough hashy variable
frequency hets to overwhelm even strong local broadcast stations on a radio
in the same room.

Some thief ran, well -- hobbled, off with my arc welder a few years ago. I
never replaced it. Good thing, I now realize.

I kinda doubt electrical interference would cut off somebody's BPL access
entirely. I picture the error rate going up and up, and the connection
speeds going down and down. Maybe even slower than dial-up. Even worse,
the guy who pays for BPL is likely to blame the power company, rather than
the real culprit -- the clown who just doesn't give a damn about RFI.

Frank Dresser

new kenwood ts480 voip internet ready g3zhi General 0 June 15th 04 07:57 AM
new kenwood ts480 voip internet ready g3zhi Policy 0 June 15th 04 07:57 AM
READY! AIM! FIRE! Beef Taco CB 0 March 1st 04 05:31 AM
Twithed Get Ready Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup CB 0 December 2nd 03 08:34 PM