Old August 28th 03, 11:28 PM
N8KDV

CW wrote:

If they refuse to sell it to him because he does not have a license, he can
sue. Any business knows this. They will not refuse to sell.

I don't think any businesss has to sell to anyone. Now if they discriminate,
that's another issue, but one can refuse service to anyone one chooses.

"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Most sales outlets will ASK FOR his call sign, though they may not
require it to make the sale. Some will require it.

I have an in dash unit - Sony, with the gap -- and often wish the gap
wasn't there, 9.475, 9.495, 9330, etc. Even though I've really enjoyed
and appreciated the radio I have, I often wish I'd gone the other
route. I have no ssb. Am limited to increments of 5. etc.

Al

CW wrote:

If he wants a a ham transciever, all he hass to do is go down and buy

one.
He just can't legally transmit. That would probably be a good way to go.
Many of them are rather small.
"Al Patrick" wrote in message

Many "hams" get a mobile HF radio with full coverage receive. Since
this unit can also transmit, on the ham bands, it is limited (at least
at most places) to licensed amateur radio operators only.

Old August 29th 03, 03:12 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

I don't have a Ham license... Anyhow, for some reason, I seem to
remember reading that it's illegal to have a ham transceiver in a car
in NY anyhow... Maybe I'm wrong...

In my old car, I used a portable with a CB antenna for a while... It's
just a pain to disconnect and reconnect -- which would lead me to only
use it on long trips.... Also, I was using a window mount CB antenna
(to avoid holes or scratches (magnet mount)) but no ground plane). The
antenna messed up the window gasket... RF noise was sometimes an
issue... at times I could listen, but end up with a headache!... It
actually got much worse when I had to change the alternator... they
installed another brand, which caused extra noise... I wasn't going to
start changing the spark plugs and adding extra grounds in a car I
knew I was going to get rid of...
If I knew the broadcasters I listened to would stick around a few
years, that would also lean me towards a larger investment...
The other issue is theft... The Sony in-dash unit doesn't look so
extra-expensive.. putting in a large transceiver invites theft...
I would've easily bought the Sony, if not for the dash fittign
issue... (Actually, related to another issue, they mention that the
Mazda 6 isn't too well grounded...people have been adding ground
cables all over the place...)

Old August 29th 03, 07:30 AM
CW

In some states, it is illegal to have them in the car if you are not
licensed but not because of the transmitter. It is the receiver that is the
issue and generally applies to scanners though your average cop does not
know the difference. If you suspect that you live in such a state, it would
be in your best interest to find out as your shortwave rig is just as likely
to get you busted as anything. As for the size of a transceiver, some are no
bigger than your stock car radio.
om...

Old August 30th 03, 10:03 AM
Don Brady

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:08:39 GMT, Vermonter 05401
wrote:

I want to buy a car radio with shortwave. Anyone have any information on
who is making them and where I can get one. Or if you have one could you
give a consumer report? Thanks

http://www.jackys.com/ their Sony's work fine. Many here have bought from
them...

Radio Netherlands has reviews online.

Mine still works fine many years later.

You *might* be able to get one from a Canadian or Mexican dealer if you don't
want to import from Dubai....

Old August 31st 03, 01:44 AM
Al Patrick

I. P. Yurin wrote under the heading " Car radio with shortwave:":

What's on it?

Imagine NPR rotated through the nations where each one has 15 min to 1 hour to present THEIR NPR info. You've got it.

Actually, Israel radio is on for 30 min. or more in the evenings. DW is on about every day. It's not all news as CNN or PNN might be. There may be 30 minutes of Irish music or 30 minutes of promoting something that is hardly worth hearing -- IMHO. :-)

Al

Old August 31st 03, 01:54 PM
Daniel Rosenzweig

You can take a look at http://www.wrn.org for their schedule and
audio. Broadcasts are 'time shifted' so you wont hear them at the same
time as you would expect to hear them. Which can be a good thing, if
the broadcast is normally in the middle of the night, or when you are
in the office. You can listen to WRN in many ways - via Sirius
satellite (US), Worldspace satellite (most of the rest of the world)
via some regular AM/FM local radio stations (usually overnight - many
NPR radio stations use this), via 'regular'satellite and via the
Internet...

Old September 1st 03, 09:30 PM
David

http://wrn.org/listeners/stations/in...urrentLetter=1

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:00:20 GMT, I. P. Yurin
wrote:

What's on it?